• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Story of an A-2 Grouping!

dmar836

I purchased this named A-2 jacket, a Perry in goatskin, this past summer from fellow member, Tim (Bombs Away). He was able to determine from the stitch holes/shoulder patch shape what the likely bomb group was, then found the flyer's squadron number. The info trail stopped there so he decided to sell. Well, here's the cool part - a real needle-in-the-haystack fluke. Oddly enough, the remainder of this flyer's grouping recently came up for auction on Ebay and Tim saw it and remembered the name. He didn't have to but he rapidly connected the dots and informed me as the most recent steward of this A-2. I about fell out of my chair! It would have been a shame and a disservice to a vet to miss out on this. Tim's collection has always inspired me and I owe him one.
Well, we paid more for this class A tunic than any other we have but this one was special and needed to be "home" with the owner's flight jacket. Included was his named class A tunic (with a great patch, wings etc.), his bombardier school class book, his Combat training crew photo, graduation program, and Combat Crew Diploma, his named Bomb Group book, and some target photos.
There is more to be learned about the late Mr. Warner but we are just happy it is all back together, I know he would be.
IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

Dr H

Beautiful Perry there Dave... :mrgreen:
Grand to see it all together too, what a spot of good fortune and good detective work form you both.

Love the way that goatskin patinates and fades on the Perry (and the threads turn golden) - if JC's latest vintage goatskin takes on that look in time then I will be sure to have another 23377

bombs away

Hello Dave,

Congratulations, this grouping is fantastic !
It's good to know all these items reunited and are in the best hands. A great tribute to this brave man.

I'm happy to have helped a little, and very happy for you. ;)

What about replacing the chest patch and the shoulder one ?

All the best,
Tim

TankBuster

I'm always happy to hear stories like this. Getting items back together is just super!
Congrats on a nice grouping and more importantly remembering this veteran!

dmar836

Thanks guys.
Hacker, this is all I received. Often when I see boxed DFCs or Air Medals included in groupings, they are not engraved and I almost never see the paperwork either way. Not sure why.
Jeff, Well now I have a new found motivation to replicate those patches!
Dave

Jason

Thats a really nice grouping, you must be very happy. With the luck you've had so far, you ought to keep digging for information. Who knows, you may even find Mr Warner living in a town just around the corner from you and be able to talk to him about his experiences - or even just shake his hand and say thanks for his sacrafices all those years ago. Now THAT would be the icing on the cake.

Stony

That's a great story!

I had something just like that happen about 15 years ago. I had a B-10 with the 22nd BG "Red Raiders" Viking painting on the back. On the inside of the jacket was the guy's laundry number (first letter of last name plus four numbers). I was at a collector's house and was looking at some of his medal groupings when I spotted some familiar items. I connected the dots like you did and got all his medals, training badge, wings, pilot's leather rating holder w/rating and lots of other stuff.

You can see this B-10 by going to McGuire's second flight jacket book and looking around page 110-120 (I'm not at home or I'd look up the exact page). I know the guy I sold it to and he still has the flight jacket and the grouping. I've tried a couple of times to buy it back, but he won't budge.

dmar836

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, Mr. Warner has passed per the seller who obtained the grouping from him years ago.
To clarify, it was Tim(Bombs Away) who saw this and connected the dots. I was just the benefactor!
Stony, that story is exactly who I never tend to sell anything! I just know I'll regret it someday.
Dave

ausreenactor

I concur with all here, rare opportunity to piece together items with provenance! Well done. I jagged some Vietnam SF gear from a CAPT P. McDonald. My girlfriend at the time(now Mrs.) had the McDonald name before I ruined her. Then a second batch of his kit was listed on eBay. Managed to wangle the seller into selling to Australia and the grouping was reunited in Australia. The Class A Jacket is a ripper! They are a classy uniform. Well done!

Couchy

ciddu

Congratulations, Dave, GREAT FIND!

I was after that same A2 when Tim sold it, but you were faster... I just missed it for a few minutes, I think.
Congrats again, I think you've been very lucky, and it's Nice to see this grouping together again.