• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stencil job

Clark J

Hows it look?
094.jpg

A

Anonymous

yes i had him in mind for my next creation
but i was thinking 1 inch

Mac

Clark,

Looks great. What kind of ink did you use? Applied with brush or sponge?

Mac

Andrew

I like it. How'd you think up the serial no. Clark? I take it the ink's not waterproof so no HWT after it's done eh?

unclegrumpy

I think you did a great job of capturing the original style lettering!

However, from looking at many original A-2s over the years, I do not recall seeing any that have both the owner's name & service number and the unit's markings. It seems to be either one or the other, with the vast majority being the name & service number combination or nothing. I am not saying that having both markings never existed, but I do not think it was commonly done.

In thinking about this, almost every jacket I have seen marked with the owner's name & service number has been to officers, which would make sense as they were personally issued more of their individual gear rather than it being the unit's property. The idea was a pilot needed to have the basics issued to him, so he could be ready to fly at all times.

I have also had the original stencils before, all to officers, that came along in groups with their other stuff. When I say stencils, I mean one two line machine cut stencil with both the owner's name & service number on it. It would be used to mark other pieces of flight gear as well.

As a side note, there seem to be a lot more G-1's with unit marks and inventory numbers, but not named out there. I think that is because more Navy jackets were Squadron property, and often issued and turned back in for each flight. This is especially true for jackets used by enlisted men. You see the same with Air Force cold weather gear and parkas, especially from the 1950's.

These kinds of markings are more about how things were accounted for than anything else.