• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spearhead V.S Man The Line A-3 Cap

A

Anonymous

I have owned the Spearhead for several years, just picked up a new A-3 from Man The Line. Man the Line in my humble opinion is a better cheap repro than Spearhead. The head, or cover of MTL covers more of your head, it comes down further, front, sides and back, were as the Spearhead is very short. The bill of the MTL is a little stiffer, and, and the MTF is a 1/2 shade darker. The stitching, and seam tape is the same. So for a cheap A-3 I would recommend the MTF. The MTF is the cap with the lucky 13 on the side, the Spearhead, has 570 on the side.
551.jpg
557-2.jpg
553-2.jpg
558-2.jpg

dmar836

One of the problems of the Spearhead cap Dean sent me was that the crown was just too shallow. That's noticeable in your second pic. It's picture on the first page of the Comprehensive Cap Thread. This left it touching the top of your head while the sides were still too high, as you mentioned. I suspect that this is from many iterations of trying to alter the size of the original pattern for many heads. It had almost an puckered, elasticated look around the band as well. Perhaps they patterned it from a different cap? I was unable to figure out a way to correct it and return it to Dean so, given free reign by him, I donated it to the local CAF wing to complete a mechanic mannequin.
I'll post some pics of originals and mine on the "comp cap thread".

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9376&hilit=comprehensive

Thanks for the review. I vote for the MTL.
Dave