• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of Silver Dollar's veteran stories.

Silver Dollar

Hey gang. I'm going to start this thread for some interesting veteran stories that I've heard over my 30 years in contact with Air Force WWII veterans.

This one was told to me by one of those sort of goofy airmen. You know the type, not the brightest candles in the box. He was a radio repairman on B17'sbut not a flyer. As he tells it, one day he was working on a radio in the cockpit of a grounded B17 that hadn't gone on a raid. There was a general who was going around inspecting the base and wanted to look at the plane he was in. Of course, he got to meet the general, shook his hand and was told to go back to work which he did. About 30 minutes later, he was in the aircraft, the bombers were coming back from their mission and a bunch of them were pretty well shot up. A B17 pulled up on either side of the plane he was working on and the ground staff were furiously dragging wounded out of the aircraft as fast as they could. Well, he figured he'd better get the he** out of there so he wouldn't get in the way. As he turned to get to the hatch, he banged his head on the engineer's turret and was bleeding. As he got out of the aircraft with this cut on his head, two crewmen threw him onto and strapped him into a litter. All the way to the hopspital area, he was screaming he didn't belong there but no one was listening to him. They finally threw him into a bed and told him to quiet down, so he stopped yelling and just lay there. Just then, the general he had met came into the tent ward with a couple of aids holding on to boxes of Purple Hearts. Then for the walking wounded, the room was called to attention and the general started out pinning on the medals. There he stood at attention with this big bandage on his head. The general came up to him and started to pin the medal on him. The general looked him in the face, stopped and asked him " Weren't you the guy who was working on that parked B17? What the hell are you doing in this ward? Get the &*%^ out of here you moron." He then said to the general "but sir, I was trying to tell them I bumped my head on the turret getting out of the airplane but nobody would listen to me." Never the less, he still got thrown out of the hospital and never got his medal.

Silver Dollar

Here's another good one that a friend of mine in the 100th BG told me. This is a true story

As you know, some of those missions over the Reich were sometimes 10 to 12 hours long. One crew had just gotten a new ball turret gunner fresh out of training. Before he went on his first long mission, he asked some of the other gunners, "how do you go to the bathroom in a B17?" One of the other ball gunners told him first you need to take some kind of container and stash it where you can find it quickly. Now, when you have to go, (just don't do it when there were fighters) turn your guns straight down and that will get your hatch so the ball would open into the aircraft like when you got in. Open the hatch, stand straight up, get out and get your container. Fish around and get ahold of your parts, whiz into the can. At cruising altitude it will freeze over. then you fling it out of the airplane and hope it doesn't hit anyone in the head. The newbie said o.k. and went on the mission. Then somewhere over France, he got the urge. He turned his guns down, got out of the turret, got his container, got ready, did his business but that's where the problem started. At 20 angels, the temperature in the waist is about 50 below zero. Unless you have gloves on, your skin will stick right to metal parts like that kid who got his tongue stuck in that Christmas movie. The knucklehead brought a metal coffee can onto the plane. As he was doing his stuff, turbulence from some FLAK shook the aircraft and his "member" hit the side of the metal can and stuck tight. There he stood with his frozen noodle sticking out of his shearlings with a coffee can full of ice hanging from it. They were going to have bandits coming any minute so he had to get back into the turret but he couldn't get in with his new "accessory" so he literally had to pull it right off himself and then go back to work. He didn't get a purple heart for that either. He got a purple something else though.

More to follow.