• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solid original B-3

bombs away

Hello,

Here is my latest B-3, it is in very good condition, very solid and supple.
As we all know, it's now very difficult to find one that isn't falling apart.

2 main problems :
- Zipper is damaged at its begining. Does anyone know where I can have it changed in the best conditions ?
- original label has been taken off.

Besides this, it's a really nice jacket. I really like the 2 tone colour.
I've found just a few informations about the original owner, but he loved his jacket, his name is written everywhere !

7488801460_f9fbf5c09f_b_d.jpg

7488795898_dcac6d6a50_b_d.jpg

7488798048_13d5ed7d21_b_d.jpg

7501051126_c27491572f_b_d.jpg

7501049006_01dc2562c8_b_d.jpg

And this one with its brother, just to compare the different shades.
7488794432_75538320d5_b_d.jpg

Tim

saunders

Thanks for Sharing, Tim. Both are really good B-3 examples and in nice condition; as you noted, nice sheepskin jackets are very, very rare and greatly undervalued and unappreciated (though there is a revised upward trend in recent years). While you may wish to replace the zipper, it is interesting and rare, assuming the slider was never replaced. The Talon slider on this B-3 is black oxide brass and the puller has the circular hole in the center, features which didn't go into production until rather late in the war after B-3s were out of production. Since you have no label, we can't say much about the production date, but I'm going to use my most educated guess and say that the slider is a replacement on this jacket. I could be wrong, but I've never seen this combination of slider features on a garment produced during the production dates of B-3 jackets.

But to directly answer your question, there's no way to just repair the zipper bottom if it has torn away from the jacket - you need to replace the zipper. That job requires great skill and some issue OD #3 thread to match the rest of the jacket thread. And some luck, as the sheepskin could easily tear during removal of the old zip and installation of the new. Personally, I'd leave this all alone, as your B-3 is still nice and you can still (carefully) zip the jacket closed.

Saunders

dujardin

very very beautiful jackets

the named one is excellent, as already said, don't change the zipper; too many risk ;)

havocpaul

Loads of character, I much prefer to see jackets like that with all the experiences and stories within the hide from actual use than any 'mint' original.

Dr H

havocpaul said:
Loads of character, I much prefer to see jackets like that with all the experiences and stories within the hide from actual use than any 'mint' original.

+1

Dani-B

Cripes! What a wonderful pair of B-3 shearlings - each with his own, visible history. This type of jacket is one of my all-time favourites. And the dark brown one looks almost identical to my well-used, three years old, seal brown Eastman B-3 - great to see that, thank you so much for the pics. I personally would leave the duotone jacket as she is.

Dani

Roughwear

Two tone B-3s always display well and this one from 1942-3 is particularly nice. It's a shame about the missing label, but I would guess it was made by RW as it appear to have many of their house features.

bombs away

Guys,

Thank you for your kind words.
Original B-3 are quite rare, even on the forum.
Thanks to Andrew, I know it's a Rough Wear (but how do you know all this ? :shock: ).

And yes, you're right Saunders, the slider isn't the original one. The original one was with the jacket when I got it but it was rusty and couldn't move freely. So I've used a spare part I had. I'll try to find another correct one. You have eagle eyes ! :geek:

About changing the zipper, the leather is really solid and I'm sure it would resist the operation. Each time I close the zipper, I feel it might get worst. That's why I thought it would have been wiser to change it.
Now it's not a final decision, I'm still hesitating...

Cheers,
Tim

Peter Graham

That's two really nice B-3's you have there Tim. Have you done any research on the original owner yet ? I'm very lucky to have found a B-3 with such an interesting, albeit tragic history. You never know what you might turn up.

Roughwear

bombs away said:
Thanks to Andrew, I know it's a Rough Wear (but how do you know all this ? :shock: ).
I have compared your pics with other pics of RW B-3s that I have owned and it has the same RW house features. Details include size of the leather backing to the snaps, shape of the ends of the straps, the positioning of the rank tabs, the shape of the collar.... :)