• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sizing questions

Dimitry M

I'm currently a size 36R but I'm 17. I want to get a nice jacket for reenacting and every day wear but I'm not sure how much I'm going to grow. Should I get a 38R??? How would an A-2 look if I went for the bigger size?

D97x7

I'd imagine you're going to grow more than you think, I actually still own the jacket I wore when I was 17 even though it hasn't fitted since my mid 20s. It's a size 36, was I really that small, nowadays if I was fit I'd wear a 42, 44 is what I actually wear. So I'd say go for the larger size if you want it to last, although it may look a bit large when you get it.

Dimitry M

I'd imagine you're going to grow more than you think, I actually still own the jacket I wore when I was 17 even though it hasn't fitted since my mid 20s. It's a size 36, was I really that small, nowadays if I was fit I'd wear a 42, 44 is what I actually wear. So I'd say go for the larger size if you want it to last, although it may look a bit large when you get it.
Thanks! Hopefully it looks good and feels good when I get it.

Brettafett

So much depends.... It will be hard for anyone to guess.
A lot depends on your body type, you may be a lanky guy or prone to beef up, only you can tell.
I assume you don't want to pay a lot of cash at this point.

What you could do, is either...
scour Ebay for a secondhand A-2 (there are always a number of ELCs/ Eastmans and such, just be sure to read the ads carefully, ask questions and double check measurements)
Contact Five Star, (Shawn Ali on this forum) about a custom goat A-2. For less than most secondhand high-end jackets on Ebay. He'll make one to measure. I'd get what fits you perfectly now, wear the heck out of it... and re-look at things in a few years time (I'd bet the bug would have bitten and you'd be after a few more high end A-2s lol) Suggest Shawn's Dubow and Doniger.

Brettafett

Dubow and Doniger would be his more 'accurate' patterns...
I have it on good faith there may be a Perry on the way soon also (but this will take some time)

Don't forget the G-1s... Yes, Shawn makes them, but originals can be found in good condition on Ebay for a song.... just have to dig a little.

bazzer

I agree my b3 is a 44 which I bought when I was 18 still fits now
i would also say genics and diet and exercise are great pridictor of future weight gain as a rule of thumb
baz