• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shoulder decal question...

Can anyone tell me why some Genuine A2's and B3's have the Army Air force Shoulder decal on the left arm and some do not?
Cheers
Paul

Anyone?
I just assume that being part of a Military uniform, and to my understanding, only the AAF, identifying insignia would be standard and being that these are not removable or easily removed, that all jackets issued would have the transfer fitted? Being its on only a percentage and not on all of the original jackets, there must be a reason for that. I doubt it would have been optional, so was it due to supply or lack of? Was there a date when it was introduced that was during the war therefore earlier ones pre date the transfer?

Steve27752

Late in WW11 the USAAF started putting decals on the left sleeve of it's jackets. When older A2's and others went in for a re-furb the decal was applied before re-issue.

Tim P

the rationale as I understand it was to deter military personnel of other branches from being able to utilise items from the AAF inventory whilst they were needed elsewhere

Swing

oldskoolonly said:
Anyone?
I just assume that being part of a Military uniform, and to my understanding, only the AAF, identifying insignia would be standard and being that these are not removable or easily removed, that all jackets issued would have the transfer fitted? Being its on only a percentage and not on all of the original jackets, there must be a reason for that. I doubt it would have been optional, so was it due to supply or lack of? Was there a date when it was introduced that was during the war therefore earlier ones pre date the transfer?

I believe the date is mentioned on the ACME depot website. Feb or March '44? As Steve mentioned, the transfer was added to some A-2s when they came in for reburbishment, though some (probably in the US) recieved their while still new (probably sitting in a depot waiting to be issued). Earliest dated photo I've seen of an A-2 with a decal is January '45. So figure some time during fall '44 is when they started showing up on jackets.

~Swing