• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shaping an A-2 Collar

herk115

Hi. I've been a member of this forum for a year or so but haven't posted before. I'm very glad to meet a group of extremely knowledgeable people. I'm especially glad to know I'm not the only one in the world who knows what an A-2 is.

Here is my question. I recently purchased an ELC Rough Wear 1401p repro on Ebay. The jacket fits well enough, though not perfect -- which is the way I want it, because that's how it was in 1942 -- but my only complaint is the collar. It sticks up way too far and jabs me in the underside of the jaw. This is somewhat common in most A-2s I own; I must have a funny shaped head or something. Anyway, upon closer examination I've noticed that the collar "folds" about midway up from the collar stand, and this makes the collar overall too tall. I've found that if I force the fold down to the base of the collar, where the collar meets the liner, then the collar looks great and feels great. Question: how do I keep it that way? Sooner or later the collar wants to flop back to its original fold point halfway up the collar. Do any of you know how I can "train" it to stay folded at the base? Have I explained this well enough?

The jacket's previous owner states that he bought the jacket from ELC about 18 years ago. That means it's made of whatever hide Eastman was using at that time, not the current...oh, whatever it is, that new leather ELC recently went to. I don't think it's that (I have a current ELC 1401 made of the new HH and this old jacket definitely feels softer and more supple, so I don't think it's the new hide). Thank you in advance for your help.

Larry

dmar836

Larry,
Great to hear from you.
I have never used water but I think many have soaked a pocket flap or collar in warm water and formed it while drying.
Others will surely weigh in.
Any pics of the older ELC jacket? Maybe a side by side with the newer one?
Dave

deand

Larry, welcome to posting! You can soak the collar in water and shape it as necessary, I've done it with my A-2s.

dean

herk115

Dave,

I just shot some pics but indoors under camera mounted flash, they don't look so hot. I'll shoot some in daylight when I get time and try to post them by the end of the week. If I can figure out how.

Cheers,

Larry

CBI

soak collar with water, shape and hold in place with clothes pins or those very wide document clips

HackerF15E

Great thread...I've always been annoyed with the collar on my USAF issued A-2, as it has a kink/break in the fold (midway up the side of the neck on both sides -- I'm guessing that it formed when the jacket was folded up and boxed/bagged after manufacture). I've done things like clip it to a plastic piece I'd cut to shape, then leave it that way over the summer when I wasn't wearing the jacket. It would fix temporarily, and then always go back to having that little kink in the collar.

I'm busting out the water later today to see if that helps. Thanks!

(after reading this thread, BTW, found a similar thread on TFL giving similar advice...)
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... r-problems

Tim P

welcome.. gonna add my voice to the hot water crowd. I have shaped troublesome collars to complete satisfaction in that way.

Cobblers161

Best to use a spray bottle filled with warm water making sure the collar gets wet all over. Then just mould gently to preffered shape. Be aware it may take a couple of attempts before the desired shape is reached and make sure you keep moulding while it's drying.
The word 'soak' can be a little misleading, don't go dunking it! Also yake note of how the surface coat is affected, too aggressive a shaping can somtimes remove the topcoat, so just be gentle and you'll be cool.

Best of luck!

herk115

Hi, Hacker.

Who's making the USAF issue these days? I notice it's a lot different than the Cooper I was issued in 1989. Handwarmer pockets, inside pockets, etc. The air force I was in didn't allow hands in pockets!

Cheers,

Larry

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
herk115 said:
Who's making the USAF issue these days? I notice it's a lot different than the Cooper I was issued in 1989. Handwarmer pockets, inside pockets, etc. The air force I was in didn't allow hands in pockets!

Cockpit USA ... here's the most recent thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8839

herk115

Okay, Folks, update:

I used the spray bottle/hot water/clothes pins thing and it appears that the operation was successful. The collar has laid down flat nicely. If it pops back up I'll redo the process, but so far, so good.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Cheers,

Larry