• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling government specs? What's the game?

zoomer

Over on Facebook I encountered some fella claiming to have Navy jacket spec sheets. He posted page one of several, then said nothing when I asked about the rest of the documents.

Finally he said, rather tartly i thought, "what are they worth to you? I invested time and money to research this at the National Archives. i want some of it back!"

I said it was questionable to charge a fee for research long since completed. I did offer an in-kind exchange, which he pointedly refused.

Lately i proposed a group buy, where several members would chip in and share the specs. Again he said nothing.

So...anybody interested in going in with me? Or...is this guy just a money grubbing so and so?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-01 at 4.01.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-01 at 4.01.13 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 83

Skyhawk

He is a long time forum member and yes, he did do all the research. That Involved several trips to the archives and some crafty research and searching. As well as gas, lodging, food, and time. That is worth a lot in my book. What it is worth is the sum of all those things. In other words what would it cost you to go get them yourself?

It was worth it for me and several other well known jacket makers as well.

I wouldn't go against his sales policy and try a group purchase. Not only a jerky move but the guy is a respected member like everywhere.

zoomer

I have no need for these specs. It's just a matter of curiosity.

I don't know his sales policy, beyond "What's it worth to you?".

He may indeed be respected by people in the business. He may in turn respect them. I'm not in the business, and I felt he didn't appreciate my inquiry.

He didn't offer the complete docs on FB at all when he first posted - let alone for a research fee.

Last edited:

Skyhawk

I have no need for these specs. It's just a matter of curiosity.

I don't know his sales policy, beyond "What's it worth to you?".

He may indeed be respected by people in the business. He may in turn respect them. I'm not in the business, and I felt he didn't appreciate my inquiry.

He didn't offer the complete docs on FB at all when he first posted - let alone for a research fee.
That is strange. A different guy perhaps? It was pretty easy process for me to buy them.

Good to see you posting Zoomer! I have been wondering where you were.

Best Regards