• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seal A2's..re-dyed?

Jeff M

May have been answered before...can't find it.
I seem to recall reading that most "seal" A2's from WWII started out as russet...and were re-dyed. Do I have this correct?
A related question..why did they re-dye the A2's? A few years of wear would make them look great.
Was this done automatically to those that were turned in and then re-issued as part of the process?

jnlight75

Hi Jeff,

Not sure about most seal jackets being re-dyes. I think it is safe to say that the WWII jackets came from the factory in a range of colors between lighter russet and darker seal. When you do see photos of a depot re-dye they do appear to me to be darker seal color. They usually also have had the USAAF decal added to the shoulder. Looking great vs. military guidelines for serviceable gear would probably result in minimal value for a good patina during WWII.

Jeremy.

Roughwear

jnlight75 said:
Hi Jeff,

Not sure about most seal jackets being re-dyes. I think it is safe to say that the WWII jackets came from the factory in a range of colors between lighter russet and darker seal. When you do see photos of a depot re-dye they do appear to me to be darker seal color. They usually also have had the USAAF decal added to the shoulder. Looking great vs. military guidelines for serviceable gear would probably result in minimal value for a good patina during WWII.

Jeremy.

I agree with this.

Dr H

Here's an example of what you describe - one of my former Perry Sportswear 23377s.

P1020029.jpg

It's russet goat with a dark seal coat that has worn through in many areas - looks hand applied and quite thick at the forearm.

Presumably part of the factory refurbishment that led to the replacement of the original Conmar with a double marked bell Talon, the remains of a winged star at the shoulder and a smaller white winged star on the inner edge of the three-part wind flap.

Phantomfixer

an old thread >I know but......during the Korean war redyes had the USAF decal put on the left shoulder, as apposed to the USAAF decal. very neat to find these jackets....

Robman

Call me crazy but from many color photos I have seen with wartime A2s it appears to me that there were plenty of darker brown jackets. Looking at them after 70 years with oxidation and use they lighten up in color, expose more red base, etc.

airfrogusmc

Robman said:
Call me crazy but from many color photos I have seen with wartime A2s it appears to me that there were plenty of darker brown jackets. Looking at them after 70 years with oxidation and use they lighten up in color, expose more red base, etc.

I think there is some truth in this.