• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Russian Flight Coat WWII

jack aranda

Once I saw the quality of the goatskin in this coat of bazelot's, and tried it on, I was done for. These pics are pre-Pecard's. More pics when I've finished a little restorative therapy.

Tall in the jacket:
2949951340104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

working on my John Chapman thoughtful look:
2429235440104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

This is my CSI, detective staring at the vic pose:
2903002170104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

This is detail up close of the front piece of the coat. The throat strap does not button, it snaps.
2888744930104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

For closer looks at the hide and some other details of the coat, here is a link to bazelot's pics: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1640

Vcruiser

Hey...good fit..heh... ;)
I would like to see....a shot..standing on a rocky cliff...staring out to sea...preferably during a heavy mist :cool:
Van

jack aranda

Until late yesterday afternoon, VC, the mist would've been no problem at all. We've had frozen fog right down to rooftop level for weeks. But, I woke up this morning and the sky was a peculiar blue color :lol: and there was a bright light in the eastern sky!! There are legends about such events in SF summer history, but, rare happenings.

You're right about the vibe of the coat, Van--I want to drift off in the fog with Bogie and Calude Rains to join the free French when I put it on...From November to mid-March it'll see some duty.

Ah, yes. Hi, David. Indeed I did find some new boots--Chippewa's 9.5 EE's. A bit heavy, but, THE most comfortable boot I've worn. You can see why the GT's did not fit me. I'm waiting for the new Wolverine '1,000-mile boot' to appear, hopefully, in wide sizes. They look like a very good dress boot.

The coat drank up Pecards like a thirsty man with water in a desert, but the hide is splendid, even where dry. The goat took on a deep rich russet-brown color, and the grain came up gangbusters. Whoever built it originally used first-rate materials. If it was only twenty years old, it would be notable, but, WWII vintage is amazing. If I look just at a sleeve or a portion of the back I could easily be looking at a vintage G-1; the leather is like that for color and texture. I'll post some more pics in a day or so when the coat has finished 'drinking' and I've a chance to buff it with a cotton rag.

Vcruiser

Ya reckin that bright glow to the far east was some old goat reflecting sunlight off a fancy Falco in flight...? :D
In any event...swell looking coat. Would look the nuts with a hvy turtleneck and hightop laces as well....and a bent stem pipe! Ripe for a pipe!
Looking forward to new pics.
Congrats
Van

MikeyB-17

Jack, there are very few people who can pull off a long leather coat without looking ridiculous, but you are definitely one of them! Looks very cool. Congrats. Love the boots also.

Peter Graham

MikeyB-17 said:
Jack, there are very few people who can pull off a long leather coat without looking ridiculous, but you are definitely one of them! Looks very cool. Congrats. Love the boots also.
I agree. Top notch.

jack aranda

Here is a combined image of the coat, before Pecards (on the right) and after two courses of Pecards (on the left). Some difference is evident. Both taken in the same place about the same time of day with the same camera.

2348475790104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

A

Anonymous

That's a great coat Jack. The cap ain't too shabby either ! What make is it ?

J_H

jack aranda

Good morning, J-H:
Thanks for the kind words about coat and cap. I'm praying for a wet, cold winter here so I can 'field test' the coat. The cap is made by some folks in Oregon--Hat People. Here is a link to their fine business:
http://www.hatpeople.com/index.html

I think VC Cruiser may be able to offer testimony about their wares, as well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Jack.

I'm never going to look as cool as your good self but I don't care. :D

J_H

Vcruiser

jack aranda said:
I think VC Cruiser may be able to offer testimony about their wares, as well.

Yeah...those darn caps can become as addictive as VLJs. HP is the only Co. that advertises a variety of dif styles..or cuts..that I know of. Plus the fit is somewhat adjustable as well.
VB