• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roughout boots

Micawber

Call me a heathen but I don't understand the appeal of boots with the suede part of the hide on the outside? All my traditional leather boots, both work and leisure, have a smooth, water resistant finish to the exterior that will accept either Dubbin type treatment or wax polish. Those few pairs of suede finish shoes and boots I have owned have been a PITA to keep water resistant and free from staining and mud.

What am I missing? What is the appeal of roughout boots? Genuine question.

P-47 thunderbolt

They just keep going
20220203_175203.jpg

P-47 thunderbolt

I personally think that redwing roughouts are more ww2 'acurate' than most repro roughouts due to the construction quality, materials and wear characteristics. Although aesthetically there is differences I feel it is a more authentic product

Chandler

I personally think that redwing roughouts are more ww2 'acurate' than most repro roughouts due to the construction quality, materials and wear characteristics.
I dunno, I've read some accounts of U.S. boots being the worst ever military boots made -- my point being that repros could be spot-on in their authenticity just by being bad.

I can definitely tell the difference between my Iron Rangers and my older ATF Roughouts, but my Corcoran Jump Boots are pretty solid (albeit, probably not as authentic as originals).

Then there's this:

FWIW -- the Rose Anvil guy has said he's working on new videos of "WW2" boots. Originals? Repros? Dunno. Staying tuned.

Last edited:

P-47 thunderbolt

Cheers! They're about 5 years old now but I wear them pretty much all day, I used to wear them whilst operating machinery, now I mainly wear them to the forest sites and any rough work about the place