• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rollen L-2b with orange interior and black label

oose

Hi all,
I've not seen this before, does any one out there have one of these rare contracts.
stu

l2bn1.jpg

l2bn3.jpg

http://extras.blog64.fc2.com/blog-entry-182.html

greyhound52

No the D model was the first with orange. That tag states a B model which I have the same maker and it has the grey lining. Lining could have been replaced with orange. Cool looking jacket anyway and good size.

watchmanjimg

I seriously doubt that lining was changed. We've seen odd shades on nylon jackets before, perhaps due in some cases to exposure to God knows what. Doesn't the Blue Anchor L-2B contract typically have a peculiar lining color?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I agree, I think the lining's original, it's not a strong signal orange. If it's not from a long exposure to sunlight, something's happened in the wash, or at the dry cleaners.

oose

Hi all.
Thanks for the info guys, the line in japanese text on the lining reads as " Early-type lining is beautifully styled rayon wonderful reddish color. " I had my doubts on the lining being true orange from the D era, but I'd just never seen this affect on a gray lined L-2b.

stu

Atticus

XL B-series Rolen I once owned. The lining looked nothing like the lining in this auction.

wisconsin127.jpg

wisconsin112.jpg

AF

Willy McCoy

The zipper would be interesting to see on this jacket - whether it was a reversible one or not. I have an XL green lined L-2B that never had a nomenclature tag that also has the original zipper ............ a reversible zipper! I have looked at the zipper under magnification and there are no extra stitch holes. Same for the tag .. no stitch holes. Nice Jacket!!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Willy McCoy said:
I have an XL green lined L-2B that never had a nomenclature tag that also has the original zipper ............ a reversible zipper!

My green lined L-2B has a reversible zipper, but it's from the last Alpha (1979) contract, when the lining reverted to green.

watchmanjimg

Willy McCoy said:
The zipper would be interesting to see on this jacket - whether it was a reversible one or not. I have an XL green lined L-2B that never had a nomenclature tag that also has the original zipper ............ a reversible zipper! I have looked at the zipper under magnification and there are no extra stitch holes. Same for the tag .. no stitch holes. Nice Jacket!!

The Rolen would not have been produced with a reversible zipper, although replacing the original slider assembly with a later type is very easy to do.

What is your jacket's zipper made of? If it's aluminum, there's our answer. If you look closely at the jacket in David's link, it appears that the typical aluminum zipper used from 1970 on was retained in the green-lined 1979 model. The inner pull tab is visible in the bottom photo of the jacket turned inside-out. Also, you state that your jacket doesn't have a nomenclature tag but then you mention looking at a tag under magnification. Is there a tag of some kind, or did you just look where you expected a tag to be? Was this at the inside upper-back area or in the pocket?

Willy McCoy

I finally dug the jacket out from the closet where it has been for years. I bought it from eBay from a local seller in the condition it's now in. I know it's no later than a 1960. The zippers are both Conmar brass.

37202_448811729247_772984247_5062143_4625036_n.jpg

Here is a pretty good example of the actual color.

66929_448812114247_772984247_5062149_4299211_n.jpg

Double sided slider.

68868_448812004247_772984247_5062147_4057046_n.jpg

Random example of the zipper stitching. No evidence of a replacement zipper (extra holes/uneven stitch work).

69060_448812199247_772984247_5062151_2390287_n.jpg

Pocket zipper Conmar and matching.

69090_448812459247_772984247_5062155_1108681_n.jpg

No evidence of a nomenclature tag.

66065_448815054247_772984247_5062256_6464590_n.jpg

Pocket detail.

I really don't know what to make of this jacket. It may be either a "reject" from the transition period that was to good to throw away or a test jacket. I do know that it is an XL at least. No evidence of an O2 pad or stencil. I have not made any attempt to clean it or even use it much. Just an interesting jacket.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Willy McCoy said:
... I know it's no later than a 1960. The zippers are both Conmar brass.

Thanks for the pictures, yes certainly 1950's ... the only explanation that makes sense to me, is Jim's theory of a replaced slider.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Maybe this answers the original question, I looked at the early L-2B's on John's CD, and if I may quote ...

The lining color could often be quite different than the shell color thought it was most likely assumed that they should be the same

and about the Rolen 7448B ...

The shell is green-blue color, with more strength in the blue, and the lining has a contrasting pink color, seen on some originals, but not all.