• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration and refurbishment of flight jacket - Jules Bloom

Brettafett

Ive seen it asked a few times in a few places, about refurbishing & reconditioning original or clapped-out repro flight jackets.
From replacing knits, mouton, zippers, conditioning, stencilling... to complete overhalls.

There are a couple of great guys in the US, but here in the UK and EU, not many good, reliable options (I've tried them all)
But I've been lucky to find a guy who knows exactly what he's doing.

Jules Bloom is UK-based, but Im sure works internationally.
He is a jacket collector himself, of many years and knows his stuff... Well.
His work is very professional, detailed, careful and accurate. He uses same stitch holes, etc. Quick turn-around.

[email protected]

He has worked on a couple of my original G-1s now and recently upgraded his AVI M-422A (fun project)
Upgraded knits and added the USN stencil

Attachments

• PXL_20231024_142157463.jpg
    PXL_20231024_142157463.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20231028_095838913.jpg
    PXL_20231028_095838913.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20231028_130103517.jpg
    PXL_20231028_130103517.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 77

Skyhawk

Seems like a really great guy. We talked a bit when he ordered those knits from me. Looks like his jacket turned out nice.

Thomas Koehle

WOW!

Both jackets look incredibly good as does his work on your AVI.

Good to know someone is within reach just in case ...

So far my seamstress was able to replace knittings but it was always complicated to tell her how. And good to know someone who has an idea about the value (both historical as well as financial) of original G1.

Brettafett

That AVI is his, not mine ;)
The knits are fine as they come, but I guess replacing them was a personal choice to upgrade an already neat little M-422A.

Jtrob

Ive seen it asked a few times in a few places, about refurbishing & reconditioning original or clapped-out repro flight jackets.
From replacing knits, mouton, zippers, conditioning, stencilling... to complete overhalls.

There are a couple of great guys in the US, but here in the UK and EU, not many good, reliable options (I've tried them all)
But I've been lucky to find a guy who knows exactly what he's doing.

Jules Bloom is UK-based, but Im sure works internationally.
He is a jacket collector himself, of many years and knows his stuff... Well.
His work is very professional, detailed, careful and accurate. He uses same stitch holes, etc. Quick turn-around.

[email protected]

He has worked on a couple of my original G-1s now and recently upgraded his AVI M-422A (fun project)
Upgraded knits and added the USN stencil
If it’s ok to ask, how much do you pay for knits replacement on a jacket like this?

Brettafett

It all depends, I would email him (above) and ask.
What I will say, after trying a few other places in the UK, is that his work is far and away, the neatest, tidiest and most reliable Ive found... With a pretty fast turn-around time.
I would trust him with an original.