• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Researching I. Spiewak & Sons, Inc

bjoy

Isaac Spiewak immigrated from Warsaw, Poland, with his wife and then five children in 1903. The family grew to eight children with sons Henry E (1894-1976), Philip (1896-1991), Murray E (1906-1985), Harry I, Peter, Sam R, and daughters Esther (1899-1968) and Rose.

Isaac had noticed that the sanitation men keeping the streets clean (mainly removing horse manure) in the winter were frequently not adequately clothed. He saw this as an opportunity. He bought a sheepskin for $2, experimented with patterns cut from old newspapers, then made three vests using a borrowed pedal-powered sewing machine. After selling these for $5 each to the first three street cleaners approached, he quit his day job. With his two oldest sons Henry and Philip, he launched what became I. Spiewak & Sons, Inc.

Henry soon decided he did not like the manufacturing side. He helped with the bookkeeping, but sold insurance during the day and attended night school. Eventually the success of the business needed a fulltime adminstrator and was convinced to come back. He started doing research on the trade and ran across the story of Jason and the Argonauts which lead to their slogan "House of the Golden Fleece".

5714630514_abf37fcbdd_m.jpg
Isaac Spiewak in his factory 1917

In 1921, Murray Spiewak sent letters to be published in industry trade magazines trying to identify new factory sites. It said: "We are looking for a good manufacturing site anywhere in the East or Middle West. We have heard that there are many small communities which offer all sorts of inducements, such as free land, exempt taxation, etc., to manufacturers who will consent to settle among them. How to find these communities is our problem. Can you help us?"

In 1939, a family council headed by Isaac decided to branch out. Philip, Henry, and Sam would continue to run I. Spiewak & Sons. (Philip bought out his brothers Henry and Sam in 1948. Philip's son Gerald would become president in 1958.) Isaac, Peter, and Murray would form Bronco Manufacturing Corporation. Harry would form Ram Manufacturing Corporation.

Louis Seitzman and Robert L. Smith (each a son-in-law of Isaac) became partners and formed the United Sheeplined Clothing Company. Robert Lewis Sportswear (owned by the husband of Philip's daughter Roseanne) at some point later became a subsidary. Other clothing lines included Robert Lewis Weatherwear and Daniel Boone.

"During World War I, Spiewak produced wool coats and breeches for the US Army and Navy, including pea coats, which are still made by the company today. During World War II, jackets and flight coats were produced for the US Military including styles such as B-9/B-11 parkas, A-1/A-2, B-10/B-15 flight jackets, B-3/D-1/D-3 flight suits, M-41/M-43 field jackets/N-1 deck jackets, N-2/N-3 snorkel parkas, and T-1 tanker jackets. During the Korean War, Spiewak continued to make WWII styles for the military, and added G-8WEP flight jackets and M-52 field jackets."

Esther married Russian-born Louis Seitzman (1894-1972) and had children Lincoln and Alice.

Henry would marry a Russian-born woman and have children Larry and Paul.

Philip with his first wife Anne Rose Smith (1899-1961) had children Gerald J (1925), Robert, Martin, and Lenore. With second wife Shirley (1930-1997) he had children Alan, Michael (1951-2007), and Rosanne.

Philip's wife Anne was sister to Robert Lewis Smith (1893-1968). Their parents were from Russia and Lithuania.

Isaac's daughter Rose would marry Milton Rubin (1898-1983) born in Minsk, Russia, and have sons Donald, Robert, and Phillip. The family started the M. Rubin & Sons apparel business after their sons returned from WWII. In the early days "the company was known as an outerwear company, with such lines as Alpine Guide Skiwear, Antler, a division that made fashion and uniform outerwear, as well sportswear and hunting apparel; and, a line of golf jackets marketed with the 'As Worn By KEN VENTURI' tag line, a reference to the then-famous professional golfer who went on to a noted career in golf broadcasting."

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Thankyou once again .... Spiewak is one of the more interesting makers, being at the head of one of the family groups, Aero/Werber etc. being the other.

Keep it up, and we'll have the full set soon. :cool:

RCSignals

I think I. Spiewak& Sons is still in business, as well as United Sheeplined Clothing Company

As far as I can gather United Sheeplined still operates it's own small factory but I don't know if I. Spiewak& Sons does.
They may be another company that has it's goods made in the Schott factory?

bjoy

Isaac seems to have liked that "Golden Fleece" slogan since they used it quite a bit. They frequently used a flying ram as a logo and their employees even had the "Golden Fleece Association" (which acted like a union keeping out The Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America before and during WWII).

I can therefore understand them coming up with the name "Ram Manufacturing" for a family company.

So, what source of inspiration can anyone think of that might have suggested the name "Bronco Manufacturing" as being appropriate given that naming convention?

5714759433_de6d26e71e_m.jpg
Cover 1930 catalog