• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement Zipper for Current Issue Nomex Flight Jacket

rodgerkelly

G'day everyone this is my first post to the board.

I have a current issue flight jacket (Royal Australian Air Force/Australian Army Aviation Corps). The label is faded and I can no longer read the printing but I think it is an Australian manufactured CW-45. The jacket is the current type issued to aircrew and I wore it during my time in the service.

The trouble is that the the brass zipper tag has snapped off due to some overexuberent attempts to pull it closed when there were some threads stuck in the zipper. I have retrieved the nomex pulling tag from the brass tag and have threaded a small key ring through the zipper closer so I can wear the jacket.

I would like to have the zipper replaced rather than buy a new jacket as the as the jacket is nice and comfortable and "worn in".

The zipper is a dark brass colour and is manufactured by Scovill. Any Ideas where I can find a replacement zipper and a shop that will do the work for me? I am in Perth, Western Australia.

Thanks.

Rodger Kelly

watchmanjimg

Rodger:

Welcome aboard! It doesn't sound like you need to replace the entire zipper. Perhaps you might post a scan of your zipper so we can see exactly what's going on. I have a small stock of replacement parts and may be able to help.

rodgerkelly

Hi and thanks for your offer of help with this!

I'll post a link here to my Photobucket account and hope that it works.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/ ... ipper2.jpg

If it does not, please advise me of your email address and I will e-mail the pics straight to you.

The piece that snapped off is about an inch long and tapered from about a quarter inch wide at the zipper end to about a half inch wide at the other end. Sorry but I dont have it any more as it went "flying" after I snapped it off!

Thanks again.

Rodger Kelly

watchmanjimg

Rodger:

As I suspected, you simply lost the puller tab. I suggest replacing the entire slider assembly, which consists of the missing tab and the piece that it attaches to. I'll look through my stock of repair parts and see what I have, but I'm pretty sure I can help you for the mere cost of postage from the US to Australia. I can then walk you through the process of replacing the slider assembly, which is quite easy.

Jim

rodgerkelly

Jim,

Many thanks for this, its much appreciated.

My address is as follows:

R.D. Kelly
15 Garnkirk Road
GREENWOOD
Western Australia 6024

Pls send anything by airmail as surface can take up to three months to get here!

Please let me know what I owe you and I'll get it to you ASAP.

Thanks again

Rodger Kelly