• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement G-1 knits

Andrew

Anyone have an opinion on the lastest greatest (most accurate) supplier of these for a D series?

Jaydee

I just got some from Flightsuits. I don't know if they have diff ones for G-1 and M-422a's, but I told them I wanted the M-422a ones to match the bi-weave waistband on an old G-1. The color is close but not right on. The material is correct and the weave is good, but the length is at least 2" shorter than the originals. They look to be less in diameter too. I havent talked to my tailor yet but I hope they will fit. I also have had some from US Wings. The length was right on those, the diameter was good also. The weave Matches most of the later G-1s and the material seemed correct (100% wool). The color is very dark however, so you would probably have to replace the waist as well to match the color.
-Jay

Andrew

Thanks for that Jaydee, I will have to do the waist as well. I have bought FS A-2 knits before and they were fine, so I was thinking they may be the best.

A

Anonymous

F/S knits may have changed a bit. I think the new batch of knits is about 2 inches shorter. Might have to ask them to measure before ordering next time.

Jaydee

wing nut said:
F/S knits may have changed a bit. I think the new batch of knits is about 2 inches shorter. Might have to ask them to measure before ordering next time.
I got a bi-weave waistband from them once, it was sweet! So it didn't even cross my mind to ask. I guess I will check if they have any old ones left. Thanks
-Jay

A

Anonymous

You will enjoy that STAR, they are bomb proof with nice dark leather. Looks great with a rust mouton collar. I put G/B wool knits on mine and a new zip and upgraded to real mouton. (it had the fake stuff). Looks great now. Looking forward to pic's.

Jaydee

wing nut said:
You will enjoy that STAR, they are bomb proof with nice dark leather. Looks great with a rust mouton collar. I put G/B wool knits on mine and a new zip and upgraded to real mouton. (it had the fake stuff). Looks great now. Looking forward to pic's.
Did you have all that done at G&B? If so how was the workmanship/price? Did they hit the old stitch holes or make new ones?
-Jay

A

Anonymous

No, in fact I used USAuthentic, they replaced the zip, replaced the wrist knits I supplied , replaced the waist knit with their waist knit and replaced the mouton I supplied, one week turn around, and yes they used existing needle holes. I think it was about 100.00 USD plus shipping. Tell them you read about their work on this site, and I am sure they will do a good job.

G/B will only do work on their own jackets. Hope that helps.