• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repairing and Saving Your Knits Without Sewing Them. Part II

B-Man2

A while back I posted a brief thread about how to repair small holes in your knits by placing a minuscule amount of fabric glue on the threads around the inside of the hole and lining up the weave patterns and gluing the hole closed. I came up with this idea several years ago, after I was paying to have holes sewn together and wasn’t happy with the end result. Small mounds of thread that never matched the color of the knits and was crappy looking. So I practiced this technique quite a bit and learned how to close small holes using this technique. Now before I continue if you are reading this, I would suggest you go back to the original thread explaining this process, as there are a few important points to note . So start here;

Ok .. so now we’re in sync … so let’s begin by showing you photos of the process as it’s being done .

Photo 1
This is all you’ll need . Some CLEAR .. emphasis on CLEAR .. fabric glue. White glue will leave a white residue on the knits . A toothpick and something to place a drop of glue on, in this case I’m using a lid from a take out coffee cup.
IMG_1778.jpeg

So next step is to locate the hole and look at it carefully and try to line up the knit lines on both side of the hole with each other. Now before you start to glue take the tooth pick and push any wool fibers sticking out of the hole back into the hole so that the top of the hole is neat.
IMG_1780.jpeg
IMG_1781.jpeg

Ok now line up the fibers so that you’ll know where to line up the threads once the glue is applied.
IMG_1784.jpeg

Ok … you’re now ready to apply the glue. This is the most import step. Place the most minuscule amount of glue on the toothpick around the outside of its tip. If you can see the glue build up it’s too much. This is key to a successful ending .
IMG_1786.jpeg

Now carefully insert the toothpick into the hole and touch the wool fibers around the bottom side of the hole. If you happen to get some glue on the top fibers don’t worry a quick fix is coming to correct that problem.
IMG_1788.jpeg
IMG_1789.jpeg

Once you have delicately touched the fibers around the hole, take the toothpick out and align the knit fibers as you did prior to gluing.
Now carefully close the hole with your fingertips and hole it together for a minute or two. The glue will bond the fibers together. If you find that the fibers are not all bound together repeat the process.

IMG_1798.jpeg

Now if by chance you leave some glue residue on the top fibers, there’s quick fix that will cover that problem. Take a furniture marker close to the color of the knits and lightly tap it on the glue residue. It will blend in and not be noticeable to any great degree.
IMG_1797.jpeg
IMG_1796.jpeg

So there you have it. I have found that this technique works and it eliminates sewing the small holes in knits before they grow into big ones. Remember that practice makes perfect. It took me a while to master the process. And for the last time and I can’t emphasize this enough … the key is … use as little glue as possible to get the job done.
Ok guys … that’s it … I hope you guys have success and best of luck with it all .
Cheers

Last edited:

mulceber

Great tutorial. Burt showed me how to do it when I visited in October, and it really is a lot better than swapping out the knits over a hole or two.

B-Man2

Great tutorial. Burt showed me how to do it when I visited in October, and it really is a lot better than swapping out the knits over a hole or two.
Or trying to sew them, as you can never match threads or eliminate the sewing bump. This is about as close as you can come to invisible mending of your knits.