• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Velcro From Horsehide

alcon

Has anybody had any success removing a piece of velcro (used to hold a military name tag) that is glued on a horsehide jacket? The jacket is made of high quality horse, in excellent condition, and is about 5 years old. If so how did you do it? Comments/suggestions please. Thanks :)

A

Anonymous

Maybe apply some heat with a blow dryer and slowly peel a corner, and continue with heat. I think whatever you do there will be some discoloration.

dmar836

Try that then give it a depot redye treatment! Seriously, you could cover any damage that might have been done with a large tooled leather wing/name tag.

alcon

Thanks. I've heard of a "depot redye" however, didn't know this was something that could be done at home. I've searched for information without success. Could you tell me where I could go for specific information on the proper way to redye an A-2? Do you know of any forum members that have redyed a jacket? Are there members that perform this service? :)

capt71

Some years ago I had to remove a leather blood chit that had been added (fraudulently, by an eBay seller) to a vintage WW2 A-2. I knew it was fraudulent because the unit the jacket was worn in did not use blood chits. It had been glued as well as sewn on. On the advice of an expert, I used cigarette lighter fluid (naphtha) to loosen the glue. I applied it sparingly as I very, very slowly peeled back the patch. It worked well and did not discolor the leather at all.

However the thread holes are another matter :evil: :evil: :evil: (I wish I could stitch the chit to the bare skin of the idiot who applied it!)

Be aware, however, that some small areas of glue may (or try to) pull away small pieces of the leather surface no matter how carefully you remove the patch. Just be very slow and careful whatever method you use.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Bill

dmar836

Let the solvent absorb with multiple applications on an edge before trying to peel it too. Add more with a small brush as you curl it back. But do this over a long period, not all at once.
I did redye my ELC. Mark has done it as well. Many production repros are similarly dyed before assembly.
Dave