• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RedWing GT from Cherry to Russett..

Doug C

I applied a couple of coats of Tarrago's russet brown color cream polish to my redwing black cherry GT's the other day... after rubbing them down a few times with acetone. I'm not sure if I love the new color but I think I like it better than the cherry color, next time I'll probably used kiwi brown over this. What do ya'll think?

Doug C

Falcon_52

I like the new color much better, Doug - 110% improvement! I'd say the experiment was a success.

Regards,

Noel

Doug C

thanks. I'm enjoying them a lot more now. The draw back is that I lost the contrasting white stitches on the body of the boots but I was able to keep the welt and (welt) stitches clean and original. I'm not saying that the black cherry had a lot of purple to it but there were certain lighting situations that it felt a little that way - I don't get that now. I actually planned to get the 9013 (natural colored leather version) and gradually darken them a bit with kiwi polishes.. but I just don't feel the need to now. Plus I like the design of these boots much better than the type I repro service shoes that I had (and loved the color of).
Doug C

Marv

I actually prefer the original dark cherry colour, sorry.......never really been a big fan of russet, good job though :)

Doug C

don't like russett? come on man, to me it's an icon of the 40's.. that and the color of vintage denim, kind of a technicolor thing between the two of them IMO. But that's alright, I know it's probably not for everyone, as a matter of fact I never see anyone with russett leather anymore, which is probably part of why I dig it. BTW, I will probably use kiwi brown over this russet next time which is what the military guys did I think.
Doug C

kevlarg

Doug C said:
don't like russett? come on man, to me it's an icon of the 40's.. that and the color of vintage denim, kind of a technicolor thing between the two of them IMO. But that's alright, I know it's probably not for everyone, as a matter of fact I never see anyone with russett leather anymore, which is probably part of why I dig it. BTW, I will probably use kiwi brown over this russet next time which is what the military guys did I think.
Doug C

The kiwi brown is pretty dark so it might turn them back to something like the original cherry color you worked so hard to remove. I use the Kiwi tan over my russett jump boots and it keeps the color just right.

chicken

The color now seems to be closer to Alden 405s (Indys) now.

Although I really like the original cherry color, I also love this type of experiment. Nice change, Doug. ;)

Doug C

chicken wrote:
The color now seems to be closer to Alden 405s (Indys) now.
Yes, that's true.. well closer to my 405s after I darkened them with brown kiwi :roll: , which did a great job of darkening them without having to fork out $700. I just can't seem to be able to leave well enough alone I guess :oops: . Thanks for the complements btw.
Doug C