• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Tails Jacket Decoration Concerns Clarified

CBI

VLJ’rs

A few days ago Roberto “rob75IT” began a thread expressing his concern that someone was passing off his work (Roberto’s) on Red Tails as his own and that the same person was misrepresenting his work on the film. The person Roberto was referring to was/is me.

Roberto and I have PM’d many times and I have communicated with the VLJ moderators particularly Bill and JC. I have also been in communication with the head of costuming for the film.

In no way have I ever intended to suggest that Roberto’s work on the film was mine. My comments on working on the film were that I made some patches. I did incorrectly identify one of his patches as mine on a publicity photo as the aging looked identical to me as one of the ones I did however, seeing as how all of this work was done about 2 years ago, I had slept by then! My mistake. I have either corrected or deleted any posts along those lines. I have no interest in suggesting that anyone else’s work is mine of that my work is someones else's. (I have since found out that there have been other miss-ID’s by vendors).

Roberto’s patch and jacket painting work is on the star characters, mine would be on the supporting ones/background ones. I assumed this was the case more or less from the get go. I did in fact make about 50 patches to be used but neither I or anyone that I have visited with can tell me for sure how many were used. A number of them were not. There were also other painters involved in this work. Painters besides Roberto and I was new news to me.

I have re-confirmed however that I was and am considered part of the costuming help that involved many people with special skills. I will wait and see how things looks when the film comes out. So, again apologies to Roberto.

It’s funny however that there is a silver lining generated by this issue. I had contacted the head of costuming for some insight and clarification, she called me from her home in Scotland and we spent a terrific hour discussing many topics. I wish I could simply transcribe the talk as there was loads of information.

The one thing that I think I can pass on is perhaps the need in general to sit back and realize how cool it is that the Tuskegee story (or for that matter the story of any WW2 fighter squadron) is going to be told on a GLOBAL stage, that’s pretty amazing! The creation of the film was very fluid with MANY people doing their parts with enthusiasm and passion for the subject. To create the end result all elements were thrown into the mix: created, experimented on, changed, thrown out, re-done, filmed, multiple takes, (in the case of RT rather large additional, re-takes), all done over a 2 year period and now in the $100 million dollar plus range.

I took away the need to be a little less critical of everything (I am not however knocking Roberto’s concerns that I have addressed above). For example: there was a recent VLJ flap about Eastman and GW jackets in RT and how photos used by ELC were of GW jackets, etc. Quite a heated debate. Had we all had the working knowledge of what was involved in selecting the photos and how its done, there would have possibly been no needed discussion about it at all (except maybe the ELC as ‘the” supplier).

One more thing. As someone who was potentially on the wrong end of a misunderstanding that was brought into public, I want to thank the moderators, particularly Bill for jumping in and letting the two parties involved work it out. I was a little taken aback at some members criticism of his actions. Had these folks been in my position, they would have wanted the same thing. The interest in another “good fight” can in my view work against the credibility of the forum, especially to newer members.

Hopefully, this covers it and my apologies for possibly sounding a little “preachy” and getting “off topic” however after speaking with the head of costuming, Mr. Mitchell, saying that the landscape was re-adjusted is an understatement for sure.

Happy Holidays - “CBI” - John

Vcruiser

Well...it's nice to know that you are happy...but what about Roberto? Is he....?
He was kind enough to not mention any names...but claimed he received a shitty email from the guy he was talking about.

Cobblers161

Aw come on, this looks to be a genuine mistake. Why on earth would anyone in such a tiny community try to pass of someone else's work as their own when it is blatantly obvious they'll be found out?

Maybe Roberto should have pursued the issue privately as he clearly knew who he was addressing rather than making it public. Rather unsavoury and quite ungentlemanly.

Vcruiser

...So now it's Roberto's fault..?
How do you know that he didn't try to work things out behind the scenes with poor results..then decided to post here. He seemed pretty discrete about naming names. I also realize that there may be some confusion in translation...but is this thread mean't to declare that both parties are satisfied...or that only one is happy with a little 'misunderstanding'. I don't think there is any reason to take sides...or belittle the complainer. It makes more sense to me that one party was wrong..and the other didn't like it. I hope that Roberto feels that things have been resolved to both parties satisfaction.

Cobblers161

Not saying anyones at fault just saying this kind of issue should be kept out of the public domain. Clearly they are aware of who the other is, why not just contact direct rather than create a hoo-ha and attempt to discredit and shame? Regardless of who is in the right it's just wrong.

It's not really what this forum is for.

hacker

Cobblers161 said:
Aw come on, this looks to be a genuine mistake. Why on earth would anyone in such a tiny community try to pass of someone else's work as their own when it is blatantly obvious they'll be found out?

Maybe Roberto should have pursued the issue privately as he clearly knew who he was addressing rather than making it public. Rather unsavoury and quite ungentlemanly.

Your last sentence might be more accurately pointed at yourself. Since its apparent you really have no idea what happened it perhaps would have been better if you had remained silent than to expose your ignorance of the facts. On that note of silence, and to not have this escalate into an unfair witch hunt, I will simply say that I am quite aware of the circumstances that transpired and can state unequivocally that Roberto has stayed the high ground throughout this episode. and to turn this on him is total bullshit. As Van stated, Roberto's difficulty with English lead him to think that he might get some help on the forum....I'm sure he regrets having taken that road :(

Hacker

bfrench

Administrator
hacker said:
Y On that note of silence, and to not have this escalate into an unfair witch hunt, I will simply say that I am quite aware of the circumstances that transpired and can state unequivocally that Roberto has stayed the high ground throughout this episode. and to turn this on him is total bullshit. As Van stated, Roberto's difficulty with English lead him to think that he might get some help on the forum....I'm sure he regrets having taken that road :(

Hacker

Good point - now let's leave it alone, at least until Roberto posts.

Merry Christmas to and and all

Atticus

hacker said:
Cobblers161 said:

Your last sentence might be more accurately pointed at yourself. Since its apparent you really have no idea what happened it perhaps would have been better if you had remained silent than to expose your ignorance of the facts. On that note of silence, and to not have this escalate into an unfair witch hunt, I will simply say that I am quite aware of the circumstances that transpired and can state unequivocally that Roberto has stayed the high ground throughout this episode. and to turn this on him is total bullshit. As Van stated, Roberto's difficulty with English lead him to think that he might get some help on the forum....I'm sure he regrets having taken that road :(

Hacker
I don't give a damn...one way or the other...about the subject y'all are talking about, but I am happy to see Hacker post again. Merry Christmas, my Yankee friend!!!!!

AF

hacker

Atticus said:
I don't give a damn...one way or the other...about the subject y'all are talking about, but I am happy to see Hacker post again. Merry Christmas, my Yankee friend!!!!!

AF

And a Merry Christmas to you my snow-less buddy :mrgreen:

CBI

Oh damn - the head of costuming is Ms. NOT Mr. Mitchell

typo - d'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Atticus

hacker said:
Atticus said:

AF

And a Merry Christmas to you my snow-less buddy :mrgreen:
No snow for old Geoff...yet...but I just might see some before the holiday is over. On New Year's day...if the Packers and Lions are televised nationally...look for Jackie and me, behind the Packers' bench, at the forty yard line. I'm praying for snow and I'll be the screaming redneck dressed from head toe in deer huntin' camo.

AF

ausreenactor

hacker said:
Cobblers161 said:

Hacker

Hacker..

If you were within 1000kms, I would be inbound and buyin' til you could not spell your name! Profound and without an underlying malice, becoming rare these days. One of the few who spied the original thread and the rapid follow ons. Contacted Roberto via PM and he was eager to relay the details under the proviso it was forum-in-confidence. Not for the public domain. Not expressing opinion on the subject either way. Applaudingthe comment. And on the matter of the moral high ground. It is also an exceptional position to be in for a 600 yard cold shot when diplomacy fails. ;)

hacker

ausreenactor said:
Hacker..

If you were within 1000kms, I would be inbound and buyin' til you could not spell your name!......;)

Understanding why you will not be able to pursue such a trek, I will endeavor to carry on in the manner you have suggested......albeit with me footing the bill :shock:

Bottoms Up

rob75IT

Hello everyone
First of all, let me begin by apologizing if I have caused problems for VLJ by posting my topic.  I assume that the security of the VLJ was the reason for cancelling it. I thought long and hard before posting this thread and still maintain that it was the right thing to do.  When I wrote I avoided mentioning names to ensure the utmost discretion.

I would now like to explain my frame of mind and express my viewpoint.

Knowing full well that I wasn't the only person that worked on the decoration of the jackets, I believed that ethically speaking, it was best to avoid any kind of self-promotion until what was actually used in the movie was made clear. I took this stance to avoid damaging myself as well as the other painters involved in the movie.  Posting pictures or comments regarding the RT movie over the last years as well as wrongly identifying the type of works made by others represented in my opinion a kind of self-promotion that could point in the direction of the wrong people and other SUPPLIERS involved in the movie.

Until a few weeks ago, the VLJ was the only place where I posted and everyone knows I was discreet to the RT.
CBI doesn't just post here, but also on other forums where you can find his RT posts.
This thing regarding the picture was just the tip of the iceberg.
I tried to resolve the situation in a kind way by PM here on the VLJ. In fact, CBI retracted  the picture published here on the VLJ, writing that he made a mistake because 2 years had passed since the patches were made and they were so similar.  He forgot to remove the picture from other forums and I don't know where this same picture is now currently posted.  On the Fedoralounge for example, there is the picture and it was not retracted until a couple of days ago. 

We used different techniques, the drawings of our works are quite different as well as the ageing. I still do not understand how someone can mistake his work with someone elses, especially in this situation.

With this, I can now close this unfortunate chapter and hope that everything has been made clear with all of the involved parties here, as well as on the other forums.
Believing that all of this situation is a simple case of errors made in good faith, I accept and greatly appreciate the CBI's apology.
I hope this situation will bring us back to a friendly cooperation like in our firsts emails from a couple of years ago rather than the unpleasant exchanges made recently.

I wish everybody a happy and prosperous new year.

CBI

Thanks Roberto. Actually, this has worked out very well as I was able to learn quite a bit about the RT production as a result.