• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended Leather Repair Shops in Central/Southern US?

HackerF15E

As the title says, I'm looking for recommendations on shops that will repair G-1 and A-2 jackets. Ideally, a place that specializes in flight jackets would be great, but I know sometimes people have used smaller business that don't usually work on jackets (like saddle repair places).

The "standard" option of sending a jacket to Gibson and Barnes, or US Wings, or one of those places is always open, I was just wondering if anyone had a favorite shop that they trusted to perform repairs like torn linings, knit replacement, etc.

I prefer shops in the Central/Southern US, but if you've got recommendations outside of that area that would be worth the postage, then I'm definitely interested in that, too!

Thanks!

arclight

My favorite is Mardon Co. just outside the main gate of Davis Monthan AFB here in Tucson. They did a G-1 jacket reline and a couple of A-2 & G-1 knit replacements and an A-2 zipper replacement for me. I had the knits and they did the work.
Not the cheapest around but good quality work.

arclight

herk115

Buy your replacement cuffs from Eastman or Perrone Leather Apparel. Each is just about spot-on for authenticity. Then any good local tailor who specializes in or is at least used to working with leather can replace them. I had my Eastman fixed up that way and it looks great.

Back in the day, the life support guys were good at sewing cuffs onto the nomex jackets. You can always ask them.

HackerF15E

herk115 said:
Buy your replacement cuffs from Eastman or Perrone Leather Apparel.

Back in the day, the life support guys were good at sewing cuffs onto the nomex jackets. You can always ask them.

There's actually a very nice contractor-operated fabrication/sewing shop at my current station -- they do all of the chutes, harnesses, survival gear, and even down to nametags and velcro on flight suits. They repaired a tear to the lining on my issued A-2 (looks a little spartan, sewn with heavy-duty green nomex thread!).

All that being said, I'm not sure they'd take on replacing waist and cuffs on a privately owned USN jacket...great idea, though, wouldn't hurt to ask.

Too late on the replacements...I bought Gibson and Barnes' wool 'historical' cuffs that are for their M-422A based on recommendation in a thread here on VLJ earlier this month. I don't have them in my hands yet, but they got good reviews here. I guess if I don't like 'em, I can always buy from your recommendations.

HackerF15E

arclight said:
My favorite is Mardon Co. just outside the main gate of Davis Monthan AFB here in Tucson.

Great idea.

Have you looked at their A-2s/G-1s they offer on their website? They look like they could be decent knock-around jackets at the price, but I'm not sure if they make them in house or are asian-made imports.

Maverickson

HackerF15E said:
So...nobody with favorites on where to get some cuffs replaced??

Hi,

I hear you, but my residence is on the East Coast. Not withstanding, for me, finding both a reputable & competent leather jacket worker that can be trusted and above all affordable to do this type of work has also proven to be elusive. After several failures dealing with different leather shops I have taken it upon myself viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7180 to do this type of work.

There is also a good tutorial in our How To Info section viewforum.php?f=15 that has proven to be a big help to me. My suggestion to you is try your own hand :D .

Good Luck!

Cheers, Dave

zoomer

Jacket repair, is, frankly, unprofitable for anyone able to do it.
The expertise and equipment needed is far beyond that of a typical shoe repair, cleaner-dyer, or tailor shop.
Jacket makers can do it, but have to charge very high rates, simply because it takes their craftspeople off the production line.

It might work as a collaborative effort between different shops - say tailor/shoemaker. But tradesmen don't work that way, or pass their skills to other trades. And that has been reality since the Middle Ages.

arclight

HackerF15E said:
arclight said:
My favorite is Mardon Co. just outside the main gate of Davis Monthan AFB here in Tucson.

Great idea.

Have you looked at their A-2s/G-1s they offer on their website? They look like they could be decent knock-around jackets at the price, but I'm not sure if they make them in house or are asian-made imports.

Hi HackerF15E;

Few months ago I examined their A-2s/G-1s. I forget where the tag read it's made but I'd rather eat a bag of camel dung than wear their jacket........very plasticly feeling, absolutely digusting.

Years ago while in the Army, I was friendly with some of the parachute riggers. Some of them had their own sideline business fabricating and repairing various materials with their own industrial strength machines. I'll bet one of those guys in the fabrication/sewing shop may be interested in sewing on your replacement knits as an off duty job.

arclight out

wheat1479

You also might try Insurrection Apparel & Boots in Seattle.Number 206-782-5752.They carry Schott,Vanson and Aero leather as well as Vintage leathers.They advertise repair work on leather jackets.

HackerF15E

After careful consideration, I'm going to be trying out a somewhat "local" leather repair shop located in Tulsa, OK.

They primarily work on motorcycle racing leather, but in corresponding with the artisan herself, she stated that she has worked on flight jackets previously and committed to being able to use the same stitch holes, etc.

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/speedspor ... tPage.html

I'll post prices and results later for future reference.

Thanks for the advice, all!