• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

raybans

A

Anonymous

I have the small rayban aviator but when i wear them they look small on my face
a friend has the big ones but when I wear them they look too big

I would nice a size somewhere in the middle
anyone else has the same problem?

Are there any other rayban style aviator glasses as an alternative?
(not AO)

better duck

PLATON said:
no gold frame? :? :(
They have gold frames: look under the photos where you choose your model before ordering: both gold henna, matt black and shiny gun metal frames are available for the medium model.
BTW: I have come to love the 'gradient' lenses. I didn't want them at first, but now I really appreciate them and like them better than non-gradient ones. Of course this is a matter of personal preference.

Talisker

http://www.randolphusa.com/

Since Ray-ban were bought out by Luxottica the quality and range of sizes has gone out of the window. Randolphs are brilliant if you're looking for a traditional no-frills aviator. The Concorde is the one to look for if you're after the traditional teardrop shape.

A

Anonymous

hey Happy Hooligan,
are the code number still visible in the arms of your glasses?
do you know the model number?

thanks guys for all your input
I will definitely check them out

Happy Hooligan

PLATON said:
hey Happy Hooligan,
are the code number still visible in the arms of your glasses?
do you know the model number?

thanks guys for all your input
I will definitely check them out

the only number I see is on the ear piece. LO205 UXAS the top says B & L USA

I bought these back in the early 90's. Only cost 49.00 new back then...

fleet16b

My favorite Ray Bans are their SIGNET model.
They are gold frame sort of a a "way farer " look but also vintage looking.
I am a pilot but have never liked the traditional aviator shaped singlasses. To me the Signet lens style looks better.
The SIGNET model is longer made ( came out in the early 90's)but can be purchased on Ebay
Usually $100-300 but be patient as I got a spare pair for under $100

Happy Hooligan

I've not seen those Signets before, kind of a Clubman meets Aviator. l like them. Might have to find a pair.

My personal favorite Ray Bans are the Olympian's. Heavy glass and metal, but great coverage and cool look too. I have a black pair, not sure I can pull of the Easy Rider Gold pair, but if one came my way, I'd give them a shot.

Marrk

Talisker said:
http://www.randolphusa.com/

Since Ray-ban were bought out by Luxottica the quality and range of sizes has gone out of the window. Randolphs are brilliant if you're looking for a traditional no-frills aviator. The Concorde is the one to look for if you're after the traditional teardrop shape.

My mind has not been able to let this go, so I'm weighing in here.

In my experience, the best off-the-shelf sunglasses are Persol (a Luxottica company), followed by Ray Ban (also a Luxottica company). I have owned Ray Ban aviators for for 30 years, and I would not think of not having a pair in my kit. Before the company was acquired by Luxottica, Ray Ban lenses were made by Bosch & Lomb. I don't know who makes them now, but I have not noticed any difference. I love their lenses. For $70-$140, I would say that Ray Ban aviators are a no-brainer.

Persols are made in Italy, unlike everything else on the planet, which is made in China. I own a number of their plastic frame opticals and sunglasses. I've owned Persols since the 1980s. I miss the 1980s. Even the "big hair." But I digress. Their sunglass lenses are my favorite, only slightly better than Ray Ban. Wonderful clarity and sharpness, even the polarized lenses.

If I have erred, I look forward to be corrected by my fellow forum members.

[Salutes and exits.]

Talisker

I've no argument with you about Persol, they're my favourites as well.

I spent all last summer trying to buy a decent pair of Ray-bans and what I found is they've standardised the fit to accommodate a fashion orientated ethos. That means that the temple lengths are now designed to be uni-sex with the consequence that they tend to be on the short size for a lot of average sized men so don't curve behind the ears for a proper fit. The lenses are still good but not as good as the B&L ones.

The Randolph's are better value, the lenses are decent and you get a wide range of choice in material and tint. The frames are much better made and very durable. As a bonus they are still made in the U.S.A.

If you're talking lens quality the two best are Serengeti and Maui Jim. Both these brand have stunning optics, but the styling sometimes misses the mark for my taste. I really like Serengeti's 555NM polarised lenses for bright conditions and Mau Jim's HCL Bronze for all round use.

Sorry if that's more information than anyone needs, but trying to find a pair of sunglasses turned into a bit of an odyssey for me last summer :lol:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Talisker said:
I spent all last summer trying to buy a decent pair of Ray-bans and what I found is they've standardised the fit to accommodate a fashion orientated ethos. That means that the temple lengths are now designed to be uni-sex with the consequence that they tend to be on the short size for a lot of average sized men so don't curve behind the ears for a proper fit.

The pair I bought in Singapore were like that with short arms. They messed with them in the shop, and they kinda fitted, but were short lived as they disappeared into the canal at Wyre Piddle when I looked down.

Replacements bought at the Sunglass Gallery in Laguna Beach were back to normal ... maybe it depends on the market.

HHjackets

Talisker said:
... If you're talking lens quality the two best are Serengeti and Maui Jim. Both these brand have stunning optics, but the styling sometimes misses the mark for my taste. I really like Serengeti's 555NM polarised lenses for bright conditions and Mau Jim's HCL Bronze for all round use...:

yeap, had the Serengeti aviator but let it go (don't mind having the small arista Ray-Ban aviator).
i prefer the more subtle square lens sunglasses so i wear the Maui Jim Beachcomber.

Marrk

Talisker, I don't know about fit on _all_ Ray Bans. You may be quite right. My only experience is with Ray Ban aviators.