• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RARE VTG ORIGINAL CROWN 20" HEAVY JACKET ZIPPER USA

blackcat

RARE VTG ORIGINAL CROWN 20" HEAVY JACKET ZIPPER USA Item number: 110256720814
seen this, could it be used for a flight jacket ???
Blackcat

Roughwear

It could be used on a small A2, but most need 21-22" zips. This Crown dates from the early 50s and is not the sought after Crown Chevron design.

T-Bolt

As Andrew mentioned, the zipper in question is not a Chevron Crown, as was used in A-2's. It is in fact what I call a "peg-tooth" Crown and was used in certain post WWII military and civilian clothing.

Ted

Roughwear said:
Miles_Archer said:

According to John Chapman this style of Crown Zipper dates from the late '40s. It was used from then until the early 1950s.

Spoken with such authority too.
Whatever dude. You know everything. After 20+ years of collecting vintage clothing I thought I knew a little but you really showed me. Bravo.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Red Cloud says '40 ....

DT_545.jpg

Roughwear

Miles_Archer said:
Roughwear said:
Miles_Archer said:

According to John Chapman this style of Crown Zipper dates from the late '40s. It was used from then until the early 1950s.

Spoken with such authority too.
Whatever dude. You know everything. After 20+ years of collecting vintage clothing I thought I knew a little but you really showed me. Bravo.

Another polite response Miles. Up to your normal standard. :lol:

Roughwear

Peter Graham said:
Just to stir the pot a little, I'm pretty sure that type of Crown was used on M-42 jump jackets.

Peter, the M-42 jump jacket did have a Crown zip, but I'm not sure which type. Perhaps other members know?

Grant

Collectors of American Union made workwear know that's a 40's era Crown zip.. I've seen that Crown on 40's work jackets in both horsehide, wool and cotton. It's not necessarily a military zip. For those that what to learn something new, Crown zips were used extensively in American workwear from the early 40's through the 50's. I've got a wartime 40's cotton work jacket with the identical zip with union tags. Miles knows more about workwear.

Grant