• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ralph Edwards C model G-1 - date?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
DSA-1-9366 ... Fiscal Year 1965.

So that's somewhere between 1st July 1964, and 30th June 1965.

delta102uk

bjoy said:
Yeah, it's a '66.

Here's a link to the same jacket in a different size on Roger Moore's site:

http://moorecustom.com/jackets/G1_7823C_Edwards_42-b.htm

......Many thanks, i've had a quite a few G-1's thru my hands over the years but only one other Ralph Edwards and it was a recent E model. I've read many reviews regarding who makes the best G-1 and 60's RE always seems to be up there at the top....hope this jacket lives up to all the hype!

Cheers
Sean K

dilbert

You've got a great jacket- congratulations!

Keep in mind this jacket, Contract Number DSA-1-9366, may have been manufactured earlier than issued. I have the very same jacket, same contract number, issued to me in Pensacola in September of 1967 when I started flight training, which could be a couple of years after the date it was made. As far as quality and comfort, mine is still in excellent condition after years of wear and they are very well made. I've never worn a more comfortable jacket.

Actual issuance was something to behold. As a class we were sent to Flight Gear Issue and a yeoman behind a desk looked you up and down, then bundled your jacket, boots, helmet, flight suits (2), gloves, etc. and handed them to you in a large pile. Amazingly they all fit- the guy had a really good eye for sizes and I don't recall him asking a single question as he went about his work.

Curahee

delta102uk said:
bjoy said:
Yeah, it's a '66.

Here's a link to the same jacket in a different size on Roger Moore's site:

http://moorecustom.com/jackets/G1_7823C_Edwards_42-b.htm

......Many thanks, i've had a quite a few G-1's thru my hands over the years but only one other Ralph Edwards and it was a recent E model. I've read many reviews regarding who makes the best G-1 and 60's RE always seems to be up there at the top....hope this jacket lives up to all the hype!

Cheers
Sean K

It does live up to the hype, if fact it's not hype just OUTSTANDING craftmanship...although on mine the left sleeve is a good 1/2 inch longer than the right sleeve :shock: other than that great jacket especially the goatskin.

rpmooreii

The Ralph Edwards C series are very nice (esp. the early 1964 jackets) but the RE B series is really something to behold IMHO. I have been fortunate to get all three B series (and early '61, 3 or 4 62s and several 63s). My current everyday wearer and "never sell" jacket is a '62 7823B in sz 46 and somewhat ironically it not on my site (even thought I have owned it for years). The dark goatskin is perfect (again IMHO) (some of the later Cs had a chocolate goatskin that is not nearly as nice) with lots of grain and it has a small and perfectly faded mouton collar. Of course as a pre 1965 jacket it also has the killer rib rack waistband which are missing from 9366 contract.

Having been fortunate to own a pretty good number of Navy jackets, I have yet to find another maker and series that combines fit, goat, collar like the RE B series (w/ the only real exception being a rare Block AN-6552 (sz 46) which was actually a bit better in every aspect but too rare and valuable to wear on an everyday basis).

...Roger

delta102uk

dilbert said:
You've got a great jacket- congratulations!

Keep in mind this jacket, Contract Number DSA-1-9366, may have been manufactured earlier than issued. I have the very same jacket, same contract number, issued to me in Pensacola in September of 1967 when I started flight training, which could be a couple of years after the date it was made. As far as quality and comfort, mine is still in excellent condition after years of wear and they are very well made. I've never worn a more comfortable jacket.

Actual issuance was something to behold. As a class we were sent to Flight Gear Issue and a yeoman behind a desk looked you up and down, then bundled your jacket, boots, helmet, flight suits (2), gloves, etc. and handed them to you in a large pile. Amazingly they all fit- the guy had a really good eye for sizes and I don't recall him asking a single question as he went about his work.

.....got the jacket today and it's very nice!...here's a couple of quick pics...

002-3.jpg

018-1.jpg

Sean K