• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAF Pattern 1936 flying boots question

Marv

I acquired a pair of RAF '36 flying boots about ten years ago (not from a pilot) but they are not the same as the AM issue boots so could be private purchase but not sure if they are WW2 manufacture or a later repro model.

The differences to the AM issue boots are as follows.......

1) They don't have the AM issue size/pull tags installed but do have a white size and serial/model label sewn into the rear seam of the sheepskin lining.

2) The vamp is not as high as the AM issued version.

3) The heels have the same circular tread pattern as the AM issues.

4) The sole has a rubber protecor which reads Redfern just near the instep.

5) The leather of the boot has a slight mottled effect to it where as the AM issue seems to be smooth leather.

Apart from that the boots seem the same.

I don't have any pictures od the boots to hand and will try and post some if I get time over the weekend but was wondering if the information listed would give be able to provides some answers.

NW Carver

Hi Paul

They sound like private purchase - I have a pair of issue 36 Patt boots which are 'smooth' leather, with AM/Kings Crown, date stamped with 1939, on the leather pullers inside the boots - as well as the relevant RAF stores number. They have a leather sole (which I have added a rubber cover to) and the seam at the front of the boot (a V seam turned inwards and sewn - called a French Seam) is high - that's the V seam where the front of the boot meets the upper.

They also have the leather strap/metal buckle at the front top that stretches across a V gap.

I also have a private purchase pair that came direct from RAF Hornchurch before it closed (found in the old stores building under a load of rotting RAF kit on the day the buildings were being knocked down by one of the demolition men!).

These boots are similar to my issue pair but have the following differences:

1. Leather is 'pebbled' - instead of being smooth it has a pebbled/textured feel
2. Leather pull tabs do not have any RAF issue markings, just a simple '9E' for size then a model/style number embossed in faded purplish ink
3. The boots are ever so slightly pointed at the toe, more, than the issue version-the issue versions are very rounded
4. The leather strap/metal buckle is identical to my issue version

You have to also remember that the companies that made the boots before the war, and during, carried on making them afterwards for motorbike riders...so some of the private purchase boots that you see will be post war and used on the bikes of the period. Usually you can tell if the boots have been used for some form of motorbike riding as the instep between heel and sole will be heavily worn or marked in the leather...:)

Hope this helps - a picture would be good though :)

Andrew

I had a pair of those pebbled types once too but they had leather pullers with codes stamped into them- E something. I seem to recall the concensus was they were made by a company called Hawkins?? I've not heard of any with a fabric tag in the back either.

Aside from those the only others I've ever seen were Bedggoods of course and a slightly different pattern made by Rossiter, didn't have the straps and had the name stamped on the side top. Redfern is a suburb in Sydney, but I suppose there could be many others as well.