• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAF mug sold for £ 114.00

flyboy

KGrHqNoUE8VkRp7iBPU1Rqnr8w60_12.jpg

Sold on ebay for £114,00. Well, it's a nice mug. Good for drinking you morning tea from.
I know. I have one like it. Different maker though. (And mine only cost me £28.00)

This one was EMPIRE WARE - and it was made in 1941.
But what is it that kicks up these prices? Besides the auction itself, that is. ("Two buyers fighting for the same item" stuff.)
The manufacturing price for a mug like this - in 1941 - was probably nor more than 1/10 of the price it went for. Or even less!!!
And they were produced in thousands and thousands.

Is it because we - all the happy buyers and suckers for WWII - buy the story.
Because we all hope that THIS mug was used by a famous fighterpilot for his morning tea on the morning of that fatal day!
(This one could not have been used during Battle of Britain at least - that's for sure)
Or that THIS mug was one of the very few mugs in use after the Dambusters came home after that fantastic raid....we never know.
It might just as well have stayed in the store of the canteen in some government office.
Or have been forgotten at some store after the war - and just recently reappeared, only to be thrown out.
Until somebody bought the whole lot to sell them on.
We never know.
And that - maybe - is the magic.

wop54

Soren, we could ask one of those "psychics" that can tell the whole story just holding the object in their sensitive hands... and then trust them, of course! :roll: