• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAF 1941 Pattern Life Vest Help

unclegrumpy

Can anyone tell me anything about these two RAF 1941 Pattern Life Vests?

I am trying to both date them, and get an idea of the extra bits I would need to hunt for. Would also be interested in any good web links that might discuss them.

Thanks!

One's tag is marked:

CROWN
A.M.

Contract No. STORES
5612/c/34C

Type Flap
SIZE LARGE

The other one, which I assume is a later issue, has a large two part pocket sewn on the right side for I believe an emergency light, and a rubberized canvas flap on the left side, for exactly what I am not sure of.

It's tag is marked:

SERIAL No. 5607
Iden. No. M/50242
G.B. 9804
Size LARGE
Con. N 5525

CROWN
A.M.

philip.ed

I think it's hard to date without any real date-code present. If there is a broad-arrow on the jacket, that usually means it is 194_ at the earliest, but I can't remember when it was introduced :oops: sorry.

Andrew, weren't you going to photograph your RAF Mae Wests? ;)

unclegrumpy

Thanks!

The "Stores" vest has a broad arrow and "Made in England" stamped on the outside. I am thinking the "Made in England" might mean it made it onto the surplus market.

The vest with the light pocket does not have a broad arrow that I can find, but does have an additional Crown AM rubber stamped into the neck. It also has a faint stamp with some numbers that I am guessing is an inspectors acceptance mark.

Andrew

Sorry guys, didn't get into my box of stuff just yet so can't offer any info or pics. I'll try over the xmas break.

Ben, don't get too excited about my '32 pattern, it's one of those RCAF ones and i've had a mind to sell it for a while. Do you have Mick's blue Luftwaffe/ RAF book? I'm pretty sure the details UG needs might be in there. I only have the white one.

unclegrumpy

Another question...are there RCAF versions of the 1941 Pattern Vest as well?

I only have a copy of Mick's white book too... I guess I might have to spring for the blue one!

Thanks!

philip.ed

Yes, they're all excellent!
Cheers Andrew, still a worthy piece to have. I have been meaning to follow up on a RCAF one I was offered, as my Uncle has one, and it makes a lovely display piece.
Regarding RCAF 1941 patterns, I've never seen one, but it could be possible...I think I've seen indian made 1941 patterns...

You may have more luck posting here as well: http://www.network54.com/Forum/180748/ a great bunch of chaps , and some of their knowledge is extraordinary :D

unclegrumpy

Thanks for the link Ben! I can see from a quick look, that I could get into all kinds of trouble :shock: