• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions on buying Good Wear A-2

JWS4th

I have been reading many of the posts and there is alot of knowledgeable poeple here that know alot about the Good Wear product offerings. I have descided that I would like to purchase a Good Wear A-2, the Star Sportswear contract model. I like the look, the idea that it is a little roomier across the back and being from Massachusetts, kind of cool that it was originally made down the street in Lynn, Ma. The first question I have is to the hide (definitely horsehide) a durable finish that is not prone easily to scuffing. I also like a finish that is pretty uniform in pigment coloring across the jacket. Good Wear offers two choices with this model, russet pigment horsehide or russet aniline horsehide, could someone explain the differeces between the two, any pros or cons to either? Looking at the website pictures I am leaning towards the russet pigment horeside. I currently own and wear a Lost Worlds A-2 size 42R which fits perfectly, would I take the same size in the Star Sportswear jacket? Lastly do you have any opinions on NOS zippers, londgevity? Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help. :?:

rgraham

JWS4th said:
I have been reading many of the posts and there is alot of knowledgeable poeple here that know alot about the Good Wear product offerings. I have descided that I would like to purchase a Good Wear A-2, the Star Sportswear contract model. I like the look, the idea that it is a little roomier across the back and being from Massachusetts, kind of cool that it was originally made down the street in Lynn, Ma. The first question I have is to the hide (definitely horsehide) a durable finish that is not prone easily to scuffing. I also like a finish that is pretty uniform in pigment coloring across the jacket. Good Wear offers two choices with this model, russet pigment horsehide or russet aniline horsehide, could someone explain the differeces between the two, any pros or cons to either? Looking at the website pictures I am leaning towards the russet pigment horeside. I currently own and wear a Lost Worlds A-2 size 42R which fits perfectly, would I take the same size in the Star Sportswear jacket? Lastly do you have any opinions on NOS zippers, londgevity? Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help. :?:

My advice would be to call John himself. Very nice man, and will answer all your questions first hand.

SuinBruin

Pigment dyed is more of a topcoat type leather -- think a sprayed-on type finish. It is more uniform initially but as the finish flakes/wears the lighter layer shows through. Aniline, on the other hand, is typically a dye that permeates the leather so that it has a more uniform color all the way through. Because it is not a topcoat type of finish it is less uniform to start (i.e., it has a more "natural" leather look), but won't show as much difference between the worn and unworn areas as it ages.

I have 2 Good Wear Broncos, one with a NOS Talon, one with a NOS Crown. I like both zips, though the Crown is probably a bit smoother overall. The Talon is fine, it just needed some candle wax rubbed on the teeth to smooth it out a bit. Overall I think the NOS zips definitely add something to the jacket and I would recommend them despite the cost.

Good luck ordering a Good Wear -- they're great jackets and John is a great guy to deal with. Definitely give him a call as he is extremely knowledgeable about all this stuff and can give you more and better info than I have here.

cheers, and welcome to the forum,
Matt

johnwayne

Nothing wrong with a NOS zipper and as a regualr modern day 42R I reckon you'll end up going for a 44" - can't say I know how LW's fit nor the Goodwear Star but JC does make his jackets truer to an orignal fit which by general consensus/experience says we're all a size up than those guys back in the 1940's, however, as everyone is saying, John's yer man.

Suggest you give him measurements of your LW and he'll use that as the basis - I did that with an ELC which by comparison, the shoulders on my GW are better, nicer, sitting higher on the shoulder as they should. Whatever, you'll get a fantastic jacket that you know is bespoke to you - you just might need to be patient though!!!
I just dont ever see myself offloading mine, a Doniger and a keeper for sure, that's ageing nicely.

Cheers
Wayne

Members online

Latest posts