• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

question on Eastman jackets

SuinBruin

When did Eastman start making jackets, if anyone knows? Just curious how long they have been at it.

thanks,
matt

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Established in 1984, Eastman flight jackets have found their way to every corner of the globe ...

SuinBruin

Thanks David. Does anyone know if Gary was in the leather/jacket biz before Eastman got going in 1984? A question has come up as to the origins of the original Raiders of the Lost Ark jacket ca. 1981 and Eastman's involvement as a source for the leather has been mentioned.

cheers,
matt

Doug C

Oh geez :roll: , the raiders jacket info changes more often than you can imagine. I've been following the "stories" since 1999, and this is the first time I have ever heard Eastman's name brought into the fold - though I guess it was inevidable. Peter Botright of Wested (then called Leather Concessionaires) is the guy that's more responsible than anyone else in the jacket business. I know that's open to arguement but I believe it. IMHO, the only reason he doesn't get full credit is because certain people of a certain Indy website have a beef against him and make it there mission to take it away from him. They like to tell you that cooper (now US Wings) or Wilson Leather (the company in all the Malls) has more to do with it, but I doubt all that very seriously. The problem is that proof will take more than a recollection (even Gary Eastmans's), and the movie was made 30+ years ago. Sorry to vent... it's actually a subject that I'm interested in, I just grow weary of the constant evolution of it's history.

SuinBruin

I agree the flood of "new" info on the IJ jacket has been questionable... some of it has already been contradicted and un-contradicted only to be re-contradicted. That's why I wanted to dig into the Eastman thing... it just didn't sound that plausible to me, as my impression had been that Eastman got going in the mid- to late 80s.