• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about the 376th bomb group

A

Anonymous

I have seen the sphinx facing in both directions on the Liberandos insignia, which is correct?

a2jacketpatches

376thBG002.jpg

376thBG001.jpg

A

Anonymous

I have this book, however all painted versions I have seen, including the 376th BG website show facing the other direction.

a2jacketpatches

The description says approved 8 Nov 51, this book isn't completely accurate I'm sure, but the insignia description was probably taken from an official document, probably. If so, this would be correct. What they actually did may be completely different. I don't really know, just providing the info I have on hand.

shedonwanna

The official description from Maurer given above was designed to be worn on the left breast. If a squadron patch was worn on the left brest then the group patch was worn on the right breast and the sphinx would be in sinister. Dexter is considered the position of honor yet if the group patch is displayed/worn on the right the sphinx would give the impression of retreat or fleeing. That is to say, if the group patch was worn on the right, which was common, the the sphinx was transposed. This transposed position was copied over the years without regard for the official heraldic description. Simply put, depending on which side you plan to wear the patch, have the sphinx face inward toward the center of the jacket.

A

Anonymous

-232272206980526620.jpg
Just found this original, I guess there was an unwritten guildline, But still confusing.

a2jacketpatches

shedonwanna said:
The official description from Maurer given above was designed to be worn on the left breast. If a squadron patch was worn on the left brest then the group patch was worn on the right breast and the sphinx would be in sinister. Dexter is considered the position of honor yet if the group patch is displayed/worn on the right the sphinx would give the impression of retreat or fleeing. That is to say, if the group patch was worn on the right, which was common, the the sphinx was transposed. This transposed position was copied over the years without regard for the official heraldic description. Simply put, depending on which side you plan to wear the patch, have the sphinx face inward toward the center of the jacket.

Sounds about as correct as could be. Can't go by what was actually done during the war. Recently saw a post here with Shoulder patches all over the front of an A2.

shedonwanna

chitchat said:
-232272206980526620.jpg
Just found this original, I guess there was an unwritten guildline, But still confusing.
No unwritten guidelines - they were just as confused as we are! Sometimes individuals just did what they wanted and at other times a group commander and his staff would have guidelines or regulations in place. After changes in command some regulations may not get enforced. The way some things got done varied from group to group and commander to commander. Some command staff would concern themselves with how jackets were decorated and others would leave it up to individual squadrons or crews. Different styles of leadership and different tastes in artistic expression. As for us, the correct way may be to find a vintage example and replicate it as a tribute to the veteran who wore it.

As for the 376th, contact their association and ask if there are any explanations or descriptions in their history. Some groups have documented these things others haven't but you will have fun asking and will make some good friends along the way.

shedonwanna

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
chitchat said:
KGrHqJhwE9iGdWRsBPoUjuVnYw60_57.jpg
You might be right.
Question , on this patch shown, do the symbols on the bomb nose have numbers on them, if so what are they please ??????????
Johnny

The following description on the 376th web site describes the meaning of the symbols. Also, looks like the Louis crew was with the 513th squadron and completed their 50 missions. The diamond, square triangle and circle are described below... 15, 9 and 12 inscribed in the symbols to represent the 15th, 9th and 12th Air Force. This patch tells a story!

" Significance of the Liberandos Emblem

On a blue shield bordered by yellow, in base, a stylized wing sphinx yellow, shaded orange, edged blue, resting on a terra cotta red base, in the upper right, a bomb, yellow point downward, thereon a disc and diamond, terra cotta red, a triangle, blue, a square, terra cotta red.

The blue and yellow are the colors of the Air Force. The winged sphinx in yellow is symbolic of the service in the Middle East Theater where the Group began its first historical tradition. The diamond, circle, square and triangle are for each squadron's service in Palestine. The blue of the field is also emblematic of the intense blue of the African sky at night and represents the theater where heroic missions were sucessfully accomplished.

The terra cotta red beneath the winged sphinx is symbolic of the desert around Gambut, Soluch and Benghazi. The motto "LIBERANDOS", is a romantic coining from the B-24 Liberators. The bomb in the right side of the shield is emblematic of the missions of the 376th Bombardment Group (H)."

EMBLEMHUNTER

shedonwanna said:
EMBLEMHUNTER said:
chitchat said:
KGrHqJhwE9iGdWRsBPoUjuVnYw60_57.jpg
You might be right.
Question , on this patch shown, do the symbols on the bomb nose have numbers on them, if so what are they please ??????????
Johnny

The following description on the 376th web site describes the meaning of the symbols. Also, looks like the Louis crew was with the 513th squadron and completed their 50 missions. The diamond, square triangle and circle are described below... 15, 9 and 12 inscribed in the symbols to represent the 15th, 9th and 12th Air Force. This patch tells a story!

" Significance of the Liberandos Emblem

On a blue shield bordered by yellow, in base, a stylized wing sphinx yellow, shaded orange, edged blue, resting on a terra cotta red base, in the upper right, a bomb, yellow point downward, thereon a disc and diamond, terra cotta red, a triangle, blue, a square, terra cotta red.

The blue and yellow are the colors of the Air Force. The winged sphinx in yellow is symbolic of the service in the Middle East Theater where the Group began its first historical tradition. The diamond, circle, square and triangle are for each squadron's service in Palestine. The blue of the field is also emblematic of the intense blue of the African sky at night and represents the theater where heroic missions were sucessfully accomplished.

The terra cotta red beneath the winged sphinx is symbolic of the desert around Gambut, Soluch and Benghazi. The motto "LIBERANDOS", is a romantic coining from the B-24 Liberators. The bomb in the right side of the shield is emblematic of the missions of the 376th Bombardment Group (H)."

Thanks Very much for the details on the numbers on the bomb, I thought they were there fro a reason , always great to learn little tidbits of knowledge about these emblems, appreciate it very much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

EMBLEMHUNTER

oose said:
Here is one shot for you...

All the best
stu
Hey Stu , great jacket , thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you possibly have a good close up of the 376th patch , especially in the "bomb" in the upper right ?????????????????????
Johnny

oose

Hi Johnny,
That's the only one I had on my hard drive that I've come across so far, I may have some more somewhere else, if I find any I'll post them here.
one photo for you...note that both have the patch with the Spinx facing outwards.

All the best
stu