• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pritzker & Sons

gruvi

good morning :)

I just got a 55J14 in the mail this morning. Everything about the fit doesnt fit the size stated in the sellers description. I believed I was getting a 40 or 42. Turns out the jacket is big, almost like it will fit a large 46 or even up to a size 50!
All it needs is two pocket buttons, correct knits and a repair to lining above the specs tag. It has the USN stamp on collar with the broken letter font. Mouton is mostly intact but can always look better with a new skin put on ot.

My question is; Is it worth investing in getting new knits, buttons, repair or replacement of lining if its too big for me? I guess I could layer under it but the size is so big on me I can see myself being able to wear my size 40 Foster's 55J14 underneath it!

Basically are these early Pritzkers in large sizes desireable that its worth throwing more money into it, or should I sell it on as is? Thanks for any advice

gruvi

Here is sellers pic. The leather overall is very nice. What should I do?

KGrHqVHJDIE8fDs9UBPUS-gR9g60_12.jpg

unclegrumpy

I would take some better pictures and include the correct measurements, and try to sell it "as is" first.

Rutger

Well, if the seller is very clearly off with all measurements you could/should seriously consider returning it. Sounds as if he'd be mistaken by about an inch in most measurements. Measure it yourself and send the list to the seller. Be polite ;) .

gruvi

Rutger said:
Well, if the seller is very clearly off with all measurements you could/should seriously consider returning it. Sounds as if he'd be mistaken by about an inch in most measurements. Measure it yourself and send the list to the seller. Be polite ;) .
But its such a nice leather, I would have to see how it works with a thick turtle neck fleece first. Its just Im used to the other g1s fitting me, not so roomy like this one.

Peter Graham

gruvi said:
I would have to see how it works with a thick turtle neck fleece first.
Well, if you were looking for a size 36 B-10 and you reckon that the jacket might be up to a 50 then that thick turtle neck fleece would need to be pretty thick.

gruvi

Peter Graham said:
gruvi said:
I would have to see how it works with a thick turtle neck fleece first.
Well, if you were looking for a size 36 B-10 and you reckon that the jacket might be up to a 50 then that thick turtle neck fleece would need to be pretty thick.
Well it would be layered over a t shirt under a turtle neck shirt under a wool jumper first :D

johnwayne

Obviously you didnt buy it to be worn 'oversize' and IMO any 'flight' jacket looks wrong when too big - more like mall jacket!! I'm 42" modern/44" original but bought a 46" Cooper G1 that I bought a. 'cos it was a silly price and b. my aero 44" M442a is quite a tight fit, so thought it might be OK - it actually was a nice jacket but I knew I probably wouldnt wear it as it was far too 'blousey' and I ended up giving it to a mate who doesnt care about fit so much but just liked the jacket!! My good deed perhaps to a hard hard but great mate.

Frustrating and disappointing perhaps but maybe you can make a small profit by selling on? Surely theres' some bigger guys here at VLJ might be tempted?

cheers
Wayne

gruvi

johnwayne said:
Obviously you didnt buy it to be worn 'oversize' and IMO any 'flight' jacket looks wrong when too big - more like mall jacket!! I'm 42" modern/44" original but bought a 46" Cooper G1 that I bought a. 'cos it was a silly price and b. my aero 44" M442a is quite a tight fit, so thought it might be OK - it actually was a nice jacket but I knew I probably wouldnt wear it as it was far too 'blousey' and I ended up giving it to a mate who doesnt care about fit so much but just liked the jacket!! My good deed perhaps to a hard hard but great mate.

Frustrating and disappointing perhaps but maybe you can make a small profit by selling on? Surely theres' some bigger guys here at VLJ might be tempted?

cheers
Wayne
Hi Wayne

I guess I could sell it with new knits and two buttons added, but have no idea what to ask for it beyond what I paid. I saw the male side zipper will need replaced as it is pulled away at the bottom and wont zip properly. The slider side is very good Conmar marked parts, so replacing male side is an easy fix if someone buying it had correct teeth and length male side. I put it on again today and it is very blousy.
A friend stopped over last night and he is 6'2 and over 225 lb. He thought is was too snug as he is used to "mall" jacket fit. It wasnt snug at all and looked a smidge roomy on him (he could get away with a thick sweater under it), almost an ideal fit. He has a belly too. I asked him what size he normally wears and he said 42. I laughed because I can wear a 42 G1 and it looks good in fit. I told him the Pritzker is likely a 46, or 44 long and it was suppose to fit, not hang off him.
Anyway, I am going to leave it with my neighbor this summer to have the correct knits, buttons and male side zipper put in. Then I can decide on the value by next fall when guys are looking to get G1s again.

havocpaul

I would just return it, the seller got it wrong..you'll end up paying out more for repairs anyway than you're likely to recoup by reselling it after fixing IMO.

Jaguar46

I have a similar type jacket, a Gordon & Ferguson, that I bought from a Japanese guy. It is too large for me (I wear a size 40), the leather is pretty nice, but the lining, mouton, and knits need replacing. I am probably going to do the same, restore it, and put it up for sale later.

gruvi

Jaguar46 said:
I have a similar type jacket, a Gordon & Ferguson, that I bought from a Japanese guy. It is too large for me (I wear a size 40), the leather is pretty nice, but the lining, mouton, and knits need replacing. I am probably going to do the same, restore it, and put it up for sale later.

I know a couple guys are interested in my jacket as they PM'd me about it. However Im torn in letting it go as it will be nice to see it fully repaired. The leather has the best natural wear and patina, as well as thickness mixed with softness, of all my flight jackets. My concern is flipping it off now to discover that it was a mistake later, you know what I mean? I keep learning that the larger sized flight jackets arent come by on a daily basis.

Dr H

Sell it.
Larger sized jackets are rarer, but also suited best to larger sized wearers.
Make some money, let somebody else put it straight, get photos of the completed job.
Put the money towards something you can wear and enjoy.

gruvi

Dr H said:
Sell it.
Larger sized jackets are rarer, but also suited best to larger sized wearers.
Make some money, let somebody else put it straight, get photos of the completed job.
Put the money towards something you can wear and enjoy.
I understand. Tonight we had a nice outdoor dinner at a friends. We go back to playing in diapers age. I told him I may end up giving him the jacket if he wants to pay for repairs, in event no one wants it at my price with the added knits and buttons. The guy doing my jackets lives right next door to him, so for us its no brainer. Then he can sell it back to me later if its not for him, and he gets the repair money back ;)

gruvi

Today I made some of my own pictures of the pritzker, and I really love the natural wear and aging the leather exhibits. Here is a few photos.

IMG_20120319_094640.jpg

IMG_20120319_094720.jpg

IMG_20120319_094658.jpg

Maverickson

havocpaul said:
I would just return it, the seller got it wrong..you'll end up paying out more for repairs anyway than you're likely to recoup by reselling it after fixing IMO.

Hi All,

Yes, I'm with you havocpaul! I've been at this vintage jacket thing for some time now. In doing so found it always better to buy as pristine as possible. So far, I've never got ahead by paying some one to refurbish one of these vintage jacket's.

That is unless you intend on doing this work yourself as a labor of love :)

Cheers, Dave

gruvi

Knits, zippers and linings are going to be normal wear items, especially in a worn leather jacket over fifty years old.
Maverickson said:
havocpaul said:

Hi All,

Yes, I'm with you havocpaul! I've been at this vintage jacket thing for some time now. In doing so found it always better to buy as pristine as possible. So far, I've never got ahead by paying some one to refurbish one of these vintage jacket's.

That is unless you intend on doing this work yourself as a labor of love :)

Cheers, Dave