• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PRE 1938 IRVIN

Roughwear

Here are some pictures of a very well preserved Irvin Air Chute jacket from the mid 1930s. It was most likely made before 1938 when IAC started to use 9 underarm vents on many of their jackets. It is made of a thinner close pile fleece and retains all the original polyacrilate coating on the skin side. Sadly the label is long gone. The zips are the rarer unmarked Dot nickel variety and the slider box is marked "Dot British". It is a very comfortable jacket to wear.

dujardin

that's a nice jacket

a rarity as you mention it, surely in this perfect state

that's a keeper

congrats

thanks for sharing it with us

Jason

What a fantastic Irvin, congratulations! I especially like the unique main zipper - definitely the most stylish of any found on the Irvins IMHO.

Roughwear

Smithy said:
What a beauty Andrew!

Don't let that one go.

It is a keeper Tim. These early jackets are far rarer than the post 1938 IAC ones. It was really from 1938 that the AM started to place numerous contracts for Irvins with War on the horizon!

fishmeok

How long is the fleece on that one Andrew? Looks shorter than most of the others You have posted. Was shorter fleece more common on earlier jackets?

Cheers
Mark

Roughwear

Yes the fleece is thinner on this than my other early jackets. It is around half an inch thick in the body compared with around an inch on my other pre-War jackets.