• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co Original A2

Roughwear

The Poughkeepsie contract has always been one of my favourites and I currently own three, including an almost mint example. This is my latest Poughkeepsie. It is slightly different from the other two in that it does not have the double barrel eyelet for attaching the collar hook, which was commonly used on jackets from this contract, just two separate eyelets. The leather, either horsehide or more likely cowhide, is more of a russet hew than most of the Poughkeepsies that I have seen. On 18th May 1942 the US Material Command placed an order for 50,000 A2s from Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co. They tended to be made of thin leather, although this one is made from thicker leather.

The leather is supple and does not have rot or repairs. The knits and waistband were replaced many years ago and although they do not match the Chelsea brown shade seen on originals are so well done that I am not tempted to replace them. The zipper is a M-42 Talon.

Often mistaken for Aeros because as they look similar, Poughkeepsie A2s had distinct features, such as the absence of the triangular reinforcement stitching at the bottom of the zipper, curved bottoms to the pockets and were often constructed with a light olive drab thread. This example is in great condition and is very comfortable to wear.

Jason

Just to pick your brain on this one Andrew: we know, thanks to extensive work done by Gary, that cowhide was used in the manufacture of A2s, and you say this Pookie is most likely cowhide. What makes you say that? The patina, especially by the shoulder front is what we've typically attributed to horsehide in the past - but then the 'crazing' look of the pocket does suggest cow hide. Do you think that manufacturers may have used a mix on the one jacket?

Roughwear

Jason, you make an interesting point. It may well be made from both cow and horse. Certainly the leather on the front is different in texture and appearance to that used for the back and sleeves. However it might simply be that cowhide was used from different batches to make this jacket.

saucerfiend

That looks great, Andrew! What color or shade would you say the replacement knits are? Would these be right for any other contract?

Brian

Roughwear

They are a very dark brown shade Brian, darker in fact than any original knits found on Wartime A2s.