• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post-WWII Hap Arnold shoulder insignia

flightmac

Does anyone have information as to when the Hap Arnold "winged star" with U. S. Air Force was discontinued or maybe which version(s) or model(s) of the N-2's, L-2's, etc did have it? Thanks.

greyhound52

Last jacket to have it was the 1960 D model L-2B. After that no more shoulder insignia. The MA-1 stopped with the B model (only on some makers not all) was just a bit over 1958.

usafwso

Yes, the USAF issued some N-2B & N-2B with the Hap decal post 1960, at least according to several jackets that I own. However, over the years, the USAF wanted to make its own image and move beyond the old Army Corps days. One good example is the pre 1992 USAF service dress uniform buttons with the "official" USAF insignia. Post 1992 MePeak airline 3 button airline pilot service dress blue uniform brings back the old HAP wing and star on the button.

Still, for the life of me, I still can't get my mind around the $600,000 Star Trek Wing and thing insignia. Tacky I say.......

Weasel_Loader

I'm with you on that one!

I was really happy when I learned they were bringing back the Hap Arnold design. That only seemed to last only a few years and then we got that crappy Star Trek design.

flightmac

Well, I was attracted to the USAF as the more technological service, but it seems like this is another "Spings", or "space wings" http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123008878 that replaced the classic "pocket rocket". I have nothing against the "computer geeks", (I worked on the electronic Navigational Aids in my first squadron http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-89988323165017_2079_107868413 ) or the space/missile people ( I tried before I was retired to get an assignment at the Cape); but either everyone wants to seem like an aviator or the powers that be are trying to "blur" and de-mystify the image of the flyer or both. As someone who still works for the Air Force and so still quite connected, they are embracing "Cyber" as the main focus of the AIR Force. I just don't understand it. Everyone has their place, but the flying mission is our raison d'etre and aviators should remain distinctive.

Sorry to be so long. Rant off.