• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Portobello Market Irvin

Baron Kurtz

These things still turn up in the markets! I always prefer buying from dealers than from ebay. :ugeek:

I bought my third Irvin this morning. This one is a multi-panel variant. In lovely condition. Needs a replacement main zip, but other than that, a very nice jacket. I'll post some pics when i get them taken this weekend, along with some pics of my others - a Coastal Command yellow hooded one, and a "standard" 4 panel front and back with collar.

bk

Baron Kurtz

Hi Andrew,

It's a bit big for me. Probably a 38 or so. So not big at all, but not as small as my Size 1 Coastal Command jacket. I should get some pics uploaded tomorrow …

bk

Andrew

The last and only market Irvin I can recall was one hanging up high in a stall beside the stables at Camden in 2001 for 70 quid. It was also small but looked in reasonable condition.

I used to haunt Camden, Portobello and Kings Rd in the mid '80's but surprisingly never came across any Irvins. I'm sure they were about but the most popular thing was 50's/60's overcoats.

Burnsie

Andrew said:
I used to haunt Camden, Portobello and Kings Rd in the mid '80's but surprisingly never came across any Irvins. I'm sure they were about but the most popular thing was 50's/60's overcoats.
Was just looking at an old Roman Holliday 45 (80's British neo swing band, anyone remember?) and they must have been haunting the same spots...1 Irvin, 1 painted A-2, a couple B-3's and a G-1 (or older)...wonder how easy that gear was to get in London in the early 80's?

Baron Kurtz

As promised, some preliminary not-very-good pictures of the new Irvin. I haven't even got it home yet, so on a lab bench it is …

Most of the panels are in lovely and supple shape, and seem to have been well conditioned over the years. The shoulder panels have been reinforced, although the sheepskin looks pretty good from the inside so i wonder why this was done? 2 pretty large panels at the lower rear. It does have 6 panels front and rear, but the central panels of the rear are very slim wedges - maximum approximately 2 inches wide at the centre seam. The main zip is a rotten YKK replacement with ripped tape - unuseable. So i'll be replacing it when i can source a period Lightning main zip (to match the remaining sleeve zip). Now i regret about a year ago turning down a £10 crappy 50s sheepskin that had a Lightning main zip. Live and learn. Anyone have one to sell?

MultipanelIrvin1.jpg
MultipanelIrvin2.jpg

MultipanelIrvin3.jpg

Rings and collar strap. The strap is pretty beat up. The collar shows no evidence of having borne an elastic strap (no hooks or signs of where they would have been attached).

MultipanelIrvin4.jpg
MultipanelIrvin5.jpg

The collar rings.

MultipanelIrvin6.jpg

And the one remaining original zipper is one of the sleeve zips. Fortunately for the other sleeve zip the tapes/teeth are still present and working, just need to replace the puller.

MultipanelIrvin7.jpg

bk

Roughwear

Nice find Baron. It would appear to be in pretty good order. These later War Irvins did not have collar eyelets for the elastic strap. The elastic strap was really a hang over from the bi-plane age when it was necessary to keep the collar up in an open cockpit. As the post-1943 jackets were issued to bomber crew such a strap was not needed!

Lightning zips are generally easier to get hold of than Dot zips. I would investigate beneath the leather reinforcement on the upper back. It maybe there are small areas of damage and the panels could be replaced or patched. Enjoy it.

Baron Kurtz

Peter Graham said:
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it ?

Whoops, sorry i didn't see this. That would be telling. ;) I generally don't give out info about what i've paid unless it was like $5 or so and i feel like bragging (which this wasn't). I will say it's the cheapest Irvin i've purchased. Even adding in the early 40s halfbelt civvie jacket i also bought at Portobello on the same day, the day comes out cheaper by far than one of the Irvins i bought. And, depending upon what's under the shoulder panel reinforcement, the Portobello one is the second best condition (The zippers issue keeps it from being the best i've bought).

bk

Baron Kurtz

as promised, here are some pics of the Coastal Command Irvin i bought a couple years ago. I don't think i've ever posted it here, though some of you will have seen it elsewhere … This is the only one i wear regularly in the winter. I love the bulkiness of the "collar" formed when the hood's folded. It's in essentially perfect condition. Probably so small that it didn't get issued (i'm 5'2" with a 35 chest)

CoastalIrvin1.jpg
CoastalIrvin2.jpg

CoastalIrvin3.jpg
CoastalIrvin4.jpg

All the zippers on it are Aero replacements that were done before i got the jacket.

CoastalIrvin5.jpg
CoastalIrvin6.jpg

CoastalIrvin7.jpg

Roughwear

Peter it's a very nice example indeed. I wonder why the zips were changed? Perhaps they went if it was used after the War. BTW it appears to be the work of D.G. LTD. They used extremely narrow belt loops and it has other features found on their jackets.

Baron Kurtz

I'm not sure about the zippers. It evidently had an original main zip - i assume Aero does not use zips bearing grommets. The jacket came with an invoice from Aero for the work and it just says "replaced worn out zips". How they got worn out without substantial wear to the jacket itself - outside or in - is a mystery. :?

bk