• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perry Sportswear 42-16175-P A2 (Size 44)

Roughwear

TOMG1401 said:
Horse, steer, all that matters is that it is an original

The debate over whether cowhide was used to make original A2s has been a long one and Gary devotes a chapter to it his book. So to Gary and many others it does matter. Personally it does not bother me.

Dr H

As I said, I didn't give a rat's what the hide was (i.e. whether horse or steer), but raised it as a possible explanation for the unusual feel/grain pattern of the hide (Van remarked on the latter as being unusual).
At the time that I owned the jacket, I wasn't aware that Perry had used steer in the contract so this didn't occur to me.

TOMG1401

I disagee Andrew, Gary devotes pages to Steer because it was a much disputed area of the jackets history. Now it is sloved, so again, if it is an original,( now that we know steer was used) what the hell is the difference

Roughwear

TOMG1401 said:
I disagee Andrew, Gary devotes pages to Steer because it was a much disputed area of the jackets history. Now it is sloved, so again, if it is an original,( now that we know steer was used) what the hell is the difference

You are entitled to you opinion, but it is not shared by everyone. There are still those who prefer hh to cow.

Steve H

:cool: NICE jacket Ian, as a Perry fan I can certainly see the attraction for this one- no matter what the hide! And a perfect size too.

Steve

Dr H

Yes Steve, it was the most comfortable of my Perrys - I was less keen to wear a wartime jacket regularly so I sold it on to CBI.

TOMG1401

Andrew, thank you for confirming my right to an opinion, who prefers horse and who prefers steer wasn't the issue. The issue is NOW THAT IT HAS BEEN RESOLVED THAT STEER WAS USED, they are all now just originals, horse, goat, steer one no more original than the other, despite personal prefernces, Not a difficult concept to grasp