• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perrone A-2s

herk115

Am I the only one who ever knew about the Perrone Leather Apparel Comany's A-2 repros from the 1990s? They made a Rough Wear repro and a 1756 "No Name" contract repro. Perhaps others. I bought their last four back in 2000 (for about $150 apiece...a steal, as they wanted to get rid of them). I have never seen nor heard of them since. I mention them because they are without a doubt the finest repros I have ever owned. Better than any ELC I've ever had (I've never had a GW), better than any Aero, Real McCoy's, and certainly far better than the lesser repros. They have exactly the right look, the right grain, and the leather...wow, it's as supple as a wet washrag, yet nice and thick and the jackets are very well constructed. Now, I'm not a stitch-counter so maybe others could find flaws with them, but does anybody know if any of these gems are still out there? I still have two of them, but like all flight jackets, they shrink when you pass age 50, and I'd like a couple more larger ones. Thanks.

Larry

442RCT

Looking at their website pics, it looks like they changed hands. The goat A-2 shown on their website kinda looks like a Cooper A-2 with that collar and pocket flaps. Pics of your jackets from the 90s would be great for comparison.

My personal favorite A-2 makers so far have been, Sefton, Aero , RW and ELC in that order. (I don't have a Goodwear yet)

Pics of one of my Seftons, it's a dark seal brown and has mismatched grainy hide.
384022170.jpg

384022268.jpg

384022224.jpg

384022216.jpg

384022197.jpg

watchmanjimg

I don't know about the original maker repros, but it would seem that their current offerings can hardly be compared to those of any of the leading companies nowadays. Lambskin? :eek:

watchmanjimg

442RCT said:
Looking at Perrone's website, it looks like their jackets are very popular among people who actually fly for a living.

I'm sure they are, but my comments were directed more towards some of the remarks in the original post. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

RCSignals

442RCT said:
........... The goat A-2 shown on their website kinda looks like a Cooper A-2 with that collar and pocket flaps. .................

I agree on the pocket flaps, but the Cooper's don't have a collar stand like that from what I've seen.
You can see that pocket flap shape on USWings jackets, some older Avirex and now Cockpit and some Schott A-2s. That's because all the US made versions of those jackets (including the Coopers) are made by Schott and there is a lot of pattern sharing. Makes me wonder if Schott does the Perrone jackets too.

zoomer

442RCT said:
Looking at Perrone's website, it looks like their jackets are very popular among people who actually fly for a living.
...and who demand a high level of inauthenticity in an A-2. Only goat or lamb are now offered, and none of this two-teeny-pockets-only nonsense.

442RCT said:
Also a company that supplies gear for flight medics sell a version with a nomex lining.
http://www.dougritter.com/dr_FlameGaurd_jacket.htm
Boy, that FlameGaurd spelling gets me every time. But guess what, there's a REASON for it.

FlameGuard is a trademark for a fireproofing paint additive.
FlameGard is a trademark for a fireplace exhaust hood.

Doug Ritter is very lucky to be marketing to a profession where spelling doesn't count!

herk115

That was my point. I guess I forgot to make it. Perrone went out of the repro business in 1999, and the jackets they offer now don't even claim to be authentic. I was asking if anyone knew of any of their repros from that period. Also, I apologize for making a "bold" statement; not my intent. What I meant was the Perrone repros were better than the ELCs of that period, not the ELCs of today, in my opinion.

Cheers,

Larry

TankBuster

Nice looking jackets. Some of those older ELC jackets look pretty good to me. Your Perrone is a nice grainy jacket.

442RCT

A-2%201999%20Perrone%201756%20a.jpg

A-2%201999%20Perrone%201756%20b.jpg

Ya needs to post the url of your pics as img files, sandwiched between [img]url%20of%20the%20pic[/img]

Nice looking jackets. :D