• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perfect companion for a repro flight jacket

Andrew

Sparked on by 'ol Better Duck mentioning he kept an old zippo in his pocket just for kicks i've occasionally looked around for an original old Zippo. I've seen a few but didn't bite. The other day I came across these repro 1941 model zippos and it looked pretty good, plus I thought i'd let it develop patina in my pocket.

I contacted the suppliers here and was quoted the crazy price of $53.15 US plus postage, but then found this seller on Ebay and got it in under a week for $12.32 plus $5.25 postage. If you're interested in one i'd recommend this guy.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWNX:IT

It comes in a nice little presentation box and makes the right sound and has a flamethrower sized flame. Now all I need is to wait for it to leak and stain the pocket to be really authentic.

xyz.jpg

Happy Hooligan

I've got the black crinkle version. I carried it for months with a bunch of change in my pocket to try to wear away some of the finish... looks as fresh as it did on the first day....

RCSignals

you can help it along showing wear by gently working at corners and edges with fine wet/dry paper and or crocus cloth. Then polish.
It should be a brass case under the chrome finish. (or black crinkle)

RCSignals

Just go easy with it, think about what would wear first in a pocket and in use. Be sure to polish the 'wear areas' as natural wear would be a fine polishing effect.

Then post photos.

If you have a small AAC collar dog you might attach it to the flat of the case. I don't know if zippo ever offered these with that sort of decoration but wouldn't be surprised if some were self applied.

RCSignals

If you want to 'age' the black crinkle the same process should work. You might want to check that the case is brass under the crinkle and not just steel, unless it doesn't matter to you.
The black crinkle may not just be ordinary paint.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Steve27752 said:
Should it not be black crackle, not crinkle?

• Black crinkle Zippo lighter .... About 46,600 results

Black crackle Zippo lighter .... About 22,800 results

RCSignals

Here is a black crackle complete with AAC collar dog attached
Link

zippoa.jpg

and one with worn finish

Link

another WW2

Link

apparently the black crackle are later (than 1941) production?

From 1943 to 1945, all production was dedicated to the military and available only through a PX. Created from steel rather than brass these lighters bear a distinctive black crackle finish. IT has a 14 hole full chimney with straight cut wheel.

The mark on the base of the interior of the lighter dates it between 1942 to 1946 and the Black Crackle enamel finish between 1943 to 1945 for the military:

PO MFG CO. BRADFORD, PA

ZIPPO

PAT. 2032695 MADE IN U.S.A.

The other mark is on the rounded base of the Black Crackle enamel finish case: ZIPPO

Marv

I also have a repro 1941 Zippo, excellent lighter and companion for the A2......and I don't even smoke, looks cool though. ;)