• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patched N-2B's ?

Peter Graham

Now that winter is well and truly upon us here in Ireland I've started wearing my Wisconson Mfg N-2B again. I'd forgotten what a great jacket it is. I've never seen an N-2B with any patches or rank etc. Does anyone have any photos ?

Atticus

Peter, I can't recall ever seeing a patched N-jacket of any kind. I wonder if guys became "attached" to their heavyweight jackets in the same way they did their L-2Bs, A-2s, MA-1s and the like. I'm thinking that N-2Bs were kinda like coveralls or whatever...just something you wore for comfort's sake, but not something that you personalized to make any kind of statement. I donno. Maybe Danny or some of the other AF guys could shed some light.

AF

Weasel_Loader

Very true.

I will have to look through my files as I may have some vintage pics of patched N-2a or b. During my time in the AF, I never saw any of them patched except for reflective tape which was only allowed on a few installations. I'll post the photos if I can find them. ;)

deand

Here you go! It's on the 'bay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/USAF-Flying-Jac...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5569b313
BcnuNVCGkKGrHqUOKisEq5w0W5SBK1PrzFG.jpg

BcnuWug2kKGrHqIOKjYEq4OpENpBK1Pscn0.jpg

BcnuewgBmkKGrHqQOKkYEq4dhDYhsBK1PtD.jpg

BcnulzwWkKGrHqUOKkEEq5NPGfPsBK1Ptjn.jpg

dean

Weasel_Loader

I am about 99.9% sure that was not worn as patched while someone was in official duty. Command patch is totally in the wrong place and the other Air Force patch is not an official patch worn on uniforms. That jacket was also issued long after people would have patched N-2Bs. ;)

usafwso

Wow, that goes way back but yes. Typically the MAJCOM patch and the aircrew name tag on the left. The military dumped nylon gear back in the early 80's.

watchmanjimg

That's not a regulation issue jacket in the first place. Look at the "Made in U.S.A." label--it appears to be a civilian Alpha.

Tim P

In my time with the USAF, parkas were organisational equipment on loan rather than issue. I wouldnt be surprised if that was the same for short parkas. certainly I have never seen a patched one that has convinced me.

USMC_GAU-21

Someone has already said "organizational" clothing. That is what the N-2/N-3 series heavy weight jackets were. Rarely did they become "personalized" like the other Nylon we have seen. I have seen the reflective tapes, prescribed by a few T.O.'s out there, but that is normally it.

A few of the squadrons have stenciled their respective unit markings on the back, maybe inside but that is all. I have a great N-3B at home, will post pic, that has 3 - 4 names in it hand written them blacked out with a new name hand written in it. Gives it character.

But I have not seen a lot of these N series jackets with a lot of Unit patching.

r/Gy Dan

watchmanjimg

I have seen one N-2A with a white nametape and squadron patch. It appeared original, but again that's the only N-2 series jacket I've ever seen with apparently original patches.