• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patch ID

Maverickson

I am hoping someone within the forum can help me identify this patch. The image seen is a good represention of it's size.

OddPatch-1.jpg

Although I do not believe that this patch was generated from his branch of the service :? , this particular patch was in my father's collection of his naval aviation career related patches. I was hoping to identify it in hopes of understanding it's significance.

Thanks, Dave

EMBLEMHUNTER

I'm thinking a USN "Crew" number patch, as an example Crew 6/crew9 of VP-................, it could be a 9 instead of a 6, and the star I think is part of the Sqauadrons emblem.

Maverickson

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
I'm thinking a USN "Crew" number patch, as an example Crew 6/crew9 of VP-................, it could be a 9 instead of a 6, and the star I think is part of the Sqauadrons emblem.

OddPatch-1-1.jpg

EMBLEMHUNTER, as it turns out you were correct in your assumption about the number on the patch. That number 6 truly turned out to be a 9. Not to mention, as you thought this 2 5/8" diameter patch also incorporates a couple other aspects off of the squadron's insignia. This all became clear after looking up a training squadron BTG-9 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Training_Squadron_4 that was associated with my late father's aviation career. The red & white four pointed symbol & same blue field was a part of this training squadron's more large insignia.

As I recall, my father once explained that while teaching flight school there was a notable squadron member. That same individual was the sole survivor of VT-8 off the USS Hornet from the Battle of Midway. Then CDR George Gay was BTG-9's XO & was liked by everyone.

Figuring the diminutive size of this patch, I must assume that this particular patch was intended to be attached to a cap and part of the squadron get up. Your input is appreciated as it turned out to be a big help in helping me solve that mystery.

Cheers, Dave

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hello Dave, I am glad that I lead you in the right direction and to a proper ID to the patch, more than likely it is a hat patch, some units liked them.
Glad to have been some help ,if you ever have any other "Unknowns" feel free to contact me direct, [email protected]