• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patch Dating Question

Atticus

Happy New Year Gents!!!

I'm always on the lookout for 68th Bomb Wing patches because Jackie's dad served in the 68th and because they seem to be a bit difficult to find.

Yesterday, I came across this one and bought it. As you can see, it is subdued---the first subdued 68th patch of this kind that I've seen. Can any of y'all patch experts tell me roughly when this patch was made? I'm guessing the late sixties, but truthfully, I haven't a clue. I know so little about this subject that I'm not even sure when subdued patches began to be used.

Thanks in advance...

AF

6580_1.jpg

Weasel_Loader

What size is the patch? Specifically top to bottom. As you probably already know, the subdued patches started appearing in the late 60s. I believe they were last stationed at Shaddy J (Seymour Johnson AFB). They had Buffs until early 80s I think. It's really difficult to date a subdued patch as they didn't change much after the late 60s in design. Wish I could help you more.

You can try posting at usafpatches.com

Atticus

Hi Danny,

The seller says that it is 4" from top to bottom. I once bought an earlier, three-inch, non-subdued shoulder patch to go on a Brents L-2A I patched up for Jackie's dad. The design of that patch looked exactly like this one except it wasn't subdued. I guess the 68th's patch design didn't change much over the years.

Here's the history of the 68th. Stan was with them in the mid-fifties when they were at Lake Charles and he later deployed with them to Brize Norton.

Activation
The 68th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing, Medium was established on October 4, 1951 and activated on October 10, 1951 at Lake Charles AFB, later renamed Chennault AFB. It received it's initial cadre of 16 people from the 44th Bomb Wing and began reconnaissance training using borrowed B-29s. It received it's own B-29 s in May 1952, then began training as a bombardment wing.
B-47 Stratojet & KC-97 tankers
On June 16, 1952, it was redesignated the 68th Bombardment Wing, Medium and flew B-29s. Late the next year, the Superfortress was replaced with the new all-jet B-47 Stratojet. The wing also received KC-97 tankers and added a refueling mission.. It conducted strategic bombardment training from May 1954 to June 1963 and air refueling operations from May 1954 to September 1957. It was deployed at Fairford RAF Station from June 14 to August 7, 1954 and at Brize Norton AB, England from Sept 27, 1957 to January 8,1958.
B-52 Stratofortress
The 68th Moved without personnel or equipment to North Carolina on April 15, 1963, where it replaced the 4241st Strategic Wing at Seymore-Johnson AFB. It was officially redesignated the 68th Bombardment Wing, Heavy. It conducted strategic bombardment training with B-52s and air refueling operations with KC-135s.
Vietnam
Deployed at Loring AFB, Maine from July 28 to August of 1965 and from May 27, 1972 to July 15, 1972. During this time, all wing aircraft, most aircrew and maintenance personnel and about half of the wing's support people were loaned to other SAC units for combat operations in Vietnam.
Status
Inactivated Sept 30, 1982

AF

FlyingToastman

Atticus said:
Happy New Year Gents!!!

I'm always on the lookout for 68th Bomb Wing patches because Jackie's dad served in the 68th and because they seem to be a bit difficult to find.

Yesterday, I came across this one and bought it. As you can see, it is subdued---the first subdued 68th patch of this kind that I've seen. Can any of y'all patch experts tell me roughly when this patch was made? I'm guessing the late sixties, but truthfully, I haven't a clue. I know so little about this subject that I'm not even sure when subdued patches began to be used.

Thanks in advance...

AF

6580_1.jpg

Probably from the late 60s - through the early 80s when they rolled out the BDUs. If its 4 inches, the subdued patches that went on the old BDUs were at best 3 inches. And even then I think the first BDU patches were colored until the mid 90s for operations sake. (I could be wrong however)

Christos

flightmac

FlyingToastman said:
Atticus said:
Probably from the late 60s - through the early 80s when they rolled out the BDUs. If its 4 inches, the subdued patches that went on the old BDUs were at best 3 inches. And even then I think the first BDU patches were colored until the mid 90s for operations sake. (I could be wrong however)

Christos

In general, the U. S. Air Force started converting to subdued insignia in 1980 while still wearing solid green fatigues. Colored patches were phased out for ground utility uniforms before BDU's were generally authorized for the Air Force. However, I've seen early "subdued" insignia on uniforms worn overseas during the Viet Nam era, but generally in 2 color like the Army. Pilots and aircrew still routinely wear colored patches, although Special Ops and those deployed to the desert don't. That could be from the early 80's because while Major Command patches, MAC, SAC, TAC, etc., were standardized; Wing patches were not until the 1990's when we lost some of the little bit of heritage we had.