• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painted A2

Rocky

Hope this works. First time using Photo Bucket.
Here's an A2 jacket that I'm in the process of buying and was wondering if I could get some feedback by some of the members here.
The jacket is suppose to be all original and I have a week to look it over. The guy who it is named to was a machine gunner on the Sweet Rose O'Grady. You can find this much on the internet.
After completing his missions he was sent state side to a gunnery school in Texas for training new recuits. The patch on the front of the jacket is from this gunnery school.
I'm not that well versed on what painted A2's are bringing these days. The seller is firm at $2800. My question is.... is this jacket worth it?
[/IMG]
DSC08424.jpg
DSC08425.jpg
DSC08427.jpg
DSC08427.jpg
DSC08429.jpg
DSC08531.jpg
DSC08422.jpg
[/img]
Here's a better photo of the back.
DSC08428.jpg

dmar836

Tough call. It basically depends on your comfort with spending that much. I see most of these originals as "buying long" in hopes that one will see more value later. The seller is on the other end - asking enough in hopes that he won't regret the sale in short order. The prices will likely keep rising but maybe not to the extent that they have. There is a point where I think the market will level off - we might be getting there(economy aside). Selling prices have easily doubled or tripled in the last 15 yrs or so but do we foresee the point where such jackets will be bought for $10,000? Perhaps they will but, if so, it will be a much smaller circle of collectors buying and discussing them.
If it were me, without more provenance, I feel I would have to wait a long time for the value to exceed what he currently wants - at least on that jacket with those markings. I couldn't justify grabbing it up as it isn't as spectacular as some going for less. So, to me, it is certainly at or above the going market price unless there is "better" artwork on the back and right breast(JMO) along with paperwork, pics, accompanying uniform items, etc. included - basically, a grouping. There are other similar jackets for less right now so if I could only buy one a year that wouldn't be it. If it is a rare contract, that might alter my feelings. Others could detect that without further pics.
Remember these are just my feelings as an AAF collector - not a dealer.

Dave
Kansas City

TankBuster

Looks to be a nice painted jacket. I like to have extras to support a jackets
provenance, but that's just me. As for price, I would say it would be in line
with what most nice painted jackets go for if everything is legit.
If there are other extras with it, it would definitely help the value.

dmar836

I also wonder if the value would hold better if the original squadron patch were there rather than the gunnery school patch. I do happen to like that patch though. I have an M1 liner with that decal on the front. Very cool.
May I ask if this is your first painted jacket or if you have others? That can influence your decision to buy as well. Are you buying to collect or do you want this to wear?
Link to the helmet liner pic. Interesting variation. I think this is from the training center in Nevada?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7812&start=30
Dave

Rocky

I have a couple of other A2 jackets but this would be my first painted one. Also this is just for my collection. I collect WWII aviation items. Really haven't found much as of lately though.
The last couple of years I've been picking up a few German pistols, mostly P38's.
Thanks for you opinion guys. There very much appreciated.

CBI

based on the photo, its looks like the bomb and red painted city names were painted later. Maybe even acrylic paint - which would be post WWII. Nice overall jacket/look. Really hard to tell if its all 100% legit. The price is in line but a little high for what you might be getting IMO.

Rocky

I agree CBI,
The cities looked like they were later painted on. My thinking on this was that probably the vet painted some of the major cities himself since the O'Grady was done so nicely and the names of the cities are not.
No way to prove this though.

dmar836

If you think about it, the number of missions - presumably 32 - had to be painted on after those missions were completed. Therefore that is likely post-tour if not post war. That's what I meant by a "better painting". It would be more desirable to have bombs separately indicating the different missions. Those would be assumed to have been painted between each individual mission. Make sense?
Rocky, any pics of your collection?
Dave
KC, USA

dmar836

Holy crap. Never mind, I have to go back to your bio pics and drool a bit!
Welcome to the forum,
Dave
KC, USA