• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overseas eBay bidding options?

Jason

So you've found an item you really like on eBay and decide to bid. But wait! The seller is in another country, and they indicate they don't post to your part of the world. What do you do?

In the past, I've accidently overlooked the 'posts to' country list and hit bid... and eBay admonished me by saying "you're not in a country that the seller posts to, your bid has not been accepted". But has this situation changed recently? A friend was in a similar situation - USA only auction, but he bid anyway (from Australia) and his bid was accepted! He didn't win, but what if he had? Would the seller then be obliged to accept the bid, even though his auction was USA only?

Normally, I'd either send a persuasive message to the seller which works in 50% of cases, but some stubborn sellers either refuse to respond or steadfastly eye off the rest of the world with suspicion and just can't be swayed. In that case, if its something that I really want, I'll approach a friend in the sellers country to proxy bid for me, which has worked in those rare instances where I have really wanted an item. But could there a third option based on the above 'USA-only-but-bid-anyway-and-it-worked' scenario?

atkins

Hi Jason,

Yeah i tried that method, paid it immediately ( so seller know we're serious )but the risk would be like over price shipping. I'm lucky to have VLJ member helping me out in this case .Thank you guys!