• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Imperial Outerwear WEP jacket

Griffon_301

Thanks to Brice, I got a new original jacket, to join my collection.
Several weeks ago, I contacted him about the possibility of sourcing a original US Navy Vietnam era WEP jacket for me.
I had toyed with the idea of ordering a BR one when Fardin placed his orders for the Fall and Winter with BR earlier in the year, but as I had no idea about their measurements, I didn't order one finally.

Of course Brice was able to find a proper example for me and today, I was able to unpack it and try it on finally.

It is a size 46R from Imperial Outerwear and of course, knowing who sourced it, it is in pristine condition.

Being a WEP, it is very short in the body so it might no be everyone's cup and one member here once even called it "one of the ugliest flight jackets ever designed" but personally I really like the cut and fit as I have come to prefer jackets that are a bit shorter in the body.
I think I can understand why it was a favourite of fighter pilots back in its days.

This is what I found on the net regarding some history of the WEP jacket, courtesy of the usmilitariaforum...

"The "WEPS" jacket came in the the USN/USMC in 1950 as the J-WFS, Jacket, Winter Flying Suit, and was matched with the T-WFS, Trousers , Winter Flying Suit. both procured by BUAER & BUWEP.

In 1960, the jacket was renamed to Jacket-Suits, Flying Winter MIL-S-18342 C (WEP) (Weapons). All of these jackets and trousers were to be worn under the "poopy suit", but fighter pilots being fighter pilots they became very popular as out wear flight jackets in the 60's - all the way to the late 80's.

Mostly "stiff wing" Pilots wore them, the Helicopter guys rarely saw them in the late 70's and into the 80's. by that time we were getting issued the CWU-45P J-CWFS, Jacket Cold Weather Flyers System. as well as the CWU-36 (Summer weight) and a issued turtle neck and matching long johns could be worn. if you were on cruise, either a Gator Freighter (LPH, LHA, LHD) or a Big Carrier, you could get away with wearing your flight deck jersey under your flight suit instead of the white turtle neck, red, blue, brown, green yellow, etc.

Anyways the "WEPS" jackets were not designed as outer jackets and wore out fairly quickly. "WEPS" pretty much came from the tag and the Pilots/Aircrew called them this.

The 1950's MIL SPEC was

MIL-S-18342
MIL-S-18342A

1960's:

MIL-S-18342B
MIL-S-18342C

They were produced under the last MIL-SPEC into the late 70's."

Mine is from the last spec and if I read the label correctly, it dates from 1968.

this completes my trio of original Vietnam era USN jackets, the other two being th A-2 Deck Jacket and the Star G-1, both of which I got from Thomas.

to come to the end of my lengthy post, I include a fit pic of the jacket and a pic of it's label.

once again, a big thank you to Brice for everything!

20231216_192940.jpg
20231216_210422.jpg

CBI

love these jackets. as discussed frequently, almost too short for practical wear but they look great. Nothing like an original. So very awesome!!!!! Iv'e got a cheap repro on the way that has a little extra length added. Thought I would give it a try.

Griffon_301

may I ask which repro you will get?
as said, I started from scratch with regard to the sizing of the WEP, but I know now that maybe a 46L might have been a good idea :)
well, but as it is an original, you have to take what you get, and Brice did a marvellous job, getting a 46R for me in that condition, it looks virtually new!

and rather short it may be, but worn over a ELC USN sweater, it´s perfect for the current kind of weather here, with temperatures around zero degrees and no precipitation.
guess the WEP would also work as a sort of liner underneath the A-2 deck jacket... overall, I am a very happy camper :)

Thomas Koehle

That's one splendid jacket Phil!

Thx for sharing the story behind - never before heard of them since you told me a couple of months ago.

Yeah it looks rather short but no matter - if it was good for flight personell it should be good to go as well for the "grunts" ...

Griffon_301

Thank you Thomas!

as said, it may not be everyone's cup due to it's length, but it's a very easy wearing and rather warm jacket, if you wear it over a good pullover or sweater that provide the length, the jacket misses.
and it's a Navy jacket, so I had to have one in my collection

Griffon_301

thanks for the compliment :)
well, it depends... my mobile is a Samsung S23 Ultra, so the cameras on the phone are quite good already.
sometime I do some adjustments of brightness, contrast, saturation etc in the stock Samsung editing software on the phone, sometimes I do post processing in Snapseed.
but I do not use other apps like Photoshop or other dedicated editing apps...

CBI

I think the G8 jacket is a totally made up thing, not a real government issued anything. Not the WEP, two different things completely?

CombatWombat

Thank you Thomas!

as said, it may not be everyone's cup due to it's length, but it's a very easy wearing and rather warm jacket, if you wear it over a good pullover or sweater that provide the length, the jacket misses.
and it's a Navy jacket, so I had to have one in my collection
I got around the height issues by getting a Korean tailor to make me one 2 decades ago......the outer fabric is a more wear resistant nylon and the torso length is about 12 cm longer than the Regular length of these and I ended up getting handwarmers put in for chilly Vancouver days.
(My favourite TV series as a teen had the main cast wearing a studio made WEP jacket in OG/black/3 colour desert and even ERDL for an episode......so I had to get one lol)
Stargate badges kinda give away the show I liked lol
1703695840393147562561301707037.jpg
17036959315966363417826936023982.jpg
17036959470086328587433939570963.jpg

Attachments

• 17036959315966363417826936023982.jpg
    17036959315966363417826936023982.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25