• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original B-3 Sizes and A-2 Size Labels

saunders

I posted this as a reply in the Ebay section that asked about the "R" suffix found on the size label on an original Aero A-2, but, in retrospect, it seems worthy as a separate topic in this section for the edification of members who may care to know more of such things. And you asked for some useful details on A-2s and B-3s of me recently, Andrew, so here's to your request:

Yes, the "reg" refers to the size, but A-2s were only made as regular fittings, so you'll not see many labels in A-2s with anything but the number alone. I can't recall seeing the "reg" suffix on A-2 size labels from any other maker but Aero. Aero appears to be making use of surplus size labels from two-piece sheepskin sets they produced: B-3/A-3 or B-6/A-5. If an A-2 contractor didn't make the sheepskin sets, it's highly unlikely there'd be any chance for this type of size label to be incorporated in the A-2. These sets were made as "regular," "stout", and "long slender," though not "long." The "long slender" fitting can also be seen abbreviated on the label as "LS" or just "long."

The B-3/A-3 sets can also be seen made as "special," which are extremely rare and reflect a made-to-order custom size for those outside the normal size range. I've only seen the "special" size on 2 jackets and a few trousers. It's my opinion that the "specials" were very rarely made in the war years (somewhat more prevalent prior to 1942) in which the B-3/A-3 sets were in production, and they may not have been made after 1942. Most aircrew wouldn't be allowed to be aircrew if they were way off the size scale in one way or the other, so it's my opinion based on conversations with those who know far more than I do, that "specials" were likely made, most often, for senior officers of some advanced age and years in service, as there was no weight restriction or physical fitness requirement back then as there is today in the military.

Saunders

Roughwear

Thanks for this. I have only ever seen the "R" suffix used by Aero on some of their A2s. I have seen them use it along with "S" and "L"on their B-3 jackets and A-3 trousers. Roughwear also used the same suffixes on their B-3s/A-3s for example, but never to my knowledge on their A2s. Phillips Tanning, the no name maker of the 17812 contract, Werber Sprtswear, the no name maker of the 42-18654-P contract are other examples of makers who used these suffixes on their B-3/A-3 sets.

saunders

Roughwear said:
Thanks for this. I have only ever seen the "R" suffix used by Aero on some of their A2s. I have seen them use it along with "S" and "L"on their B-3 jackets and A-3 trousers. Roughwear also used the same suffixes on their B-3s/A-3s for example, but never to my knowledge on their A2s. Phillips Tanning, the no name maker of the 17812 contract, Werber Sprtswear, the no name maker of the 42-18654-P contract are other examples of makers who used these suffixes on their B-3/A-3 sets.

Good info., Andrew. Thanks. Like you, I haven't seen any A-2 feature the "R" suffix on the size label other than those made by Aero, though it could have happened with any contractor making the sheepskin sets and A-2s. The "S" suffixes you've seen must be for "stouts," as the "specials" would get readily confused with these if the "special" marking wasn't fully printed. I've seen "stout" and "long" printed on RW B-3/A-3 sets; RW seems to be one maker that, more often than not, didn't just opt for the first letter of the suffix.

Where are you coming up with the maker IDs on the no-name B-3s?

Saunders

Roughwear

I was not aware I assigned any makers to the two no-name maker contracts cited above. Gary Eastman has assigned the 42-18654-P contract to H. Bernstein, and although this may be the case I have not seen any conclusive proof of this.