• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Aero A-2s Contract 15142

saunders

I was looking over some original Aero A-2s and surprised myself - not all of the 15142 contract A-2s had the diagonal (or triangular, if you prefer) reinforcing stitching at the zipper base. I could have sworn every example I ever saw had this stitching, but clearly some didn't. :eek: Has anyone else observed the absence of this reinforcing stitching on this contract? Have you observed the absence of this stitching on Aero 18775 or any of the other Aero contracts?

This makes me wonder if the stitching was supposed to be left off or supposed to be applied.

Saunders

Vcruiser

You know...I just looked at my original Aero...and it doesn't have it either.
Can't believe that I never noticed that before... :shock:
Van

saunders

So, where there is smoke, there is fire. Aero in Scotland may not be so wrong in leaving off the stitching, though I strongly think the original A-2s by Aero were all supposed to have this stitching and if it was left off, that's the error. Should we let Aero in Scotland off the hook? Nah, I think not. :D

Quality on issue jackets, as you surely know, was never all that good, and it was sometimes terrible, with crooked pockets, twisted collars, wiggly stitch lines, etc. Wartime Aero civie A-2s, as found on Ebay right now and noted on this forum, were very nicely made. But they had to be - people and not the government were paying for these!

Saunders

ButteMT61

OMG - what does that do to the stitch-for-stitch repro companies??? I wonder how many here will order new jackets with flaws to be "accurate" now? That I want to see! :shock: