• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Options on a new G-1 / Newbie

Thevenin

Discovered the forum recently, and glad I did so far, lots, lots of info & goodies !

I'm looking to purchase a G-1 spec/style jacket. Searching around & in forum so far I've seen

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-293977/Civil-G1.html

http://www.cockpitusa.com/store/vintage-g-1-jacket-without-patches.html

http://www.uswings.com/g-1.asp#BISONG1 - this one is on the heavier side I guess

Any advices on/additions to these? - Especially relatively higher-end. Nothing too heavy or too thick.

Thanks in advance, and greetings to all VLJ community
cheers.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi and welcome.
Goodwear can make you a nice G-1, probably the most accurate out there but you will pay the price.

If I was in the market for accurate G-1 (and had the money) I would check out the Japanese Real McCoy's version.

Of course, the best option is to get an original. You can find them on Ebay. From time to time some mints appear here and there.
Hard to find them, hard to find your size, but it's the thrill of the hunt that keeps you going.

From the options you mentioned, G&B makes good jackets but the pattern is off I think and it's too blousy.
I 'd take the Cockpit (ex Avirex) I think. If I recall correctly they are the current contractors? or US Wings is? Whatever, I 'd get it from the contractor.

You should check out also the Alpha Industries version.

Jason

Of the three you've put forward, the Gibson & Barnes (also known as Flight Suits) would probably offer the highest quality product. These guys are known for good quality workmanship, and occupy the middle tier of the market.

If you want something thinner & lightweight, then take a look at G-1s that use goatskin. Cowhide leather usually results in a thicker & heavier jacket, where as goatskin is tougher, lighter for a given thickness, and resists moisture better. If you're after a high-end product, our very own John Chapman with his Good Wear Leather company does a fastidiously detailed reproduction of some G-1s of days gone by in a Monarch M-422 and Bogen & Tenenbaum AN-6552 - both forerunners of the modern G-1. Real McCoys from New Zealand have a few G-1s on offer too.
A little lower down the price scale but still within the top tier products is Aero Leather Clothing, who also do a reproduction of a M-422 and AN6552. There's also a Lost Worlds G-1, but these may not suit your desires for a lightweight jacket as LW tend to turn out jackets that could repel small arms fire. But top tier also demands top dollar. Prices start at around USD $800.

Fortunately there are cheaper options. You can get a real G-1, just as it would be issued to a real flight crew member, for considerably less than that. I think Orchard has (or was recently) the current contract to supply the US Navy with G-1s for their flight crew, and you should be able to get one of those new out the factory door for less than a third of one of the high end repros. Since the very early 1970s, the US Navy has specified that cow hide could be substituted for goatskin leather for reasons of economy. As a result, most - but not all - modern G-1s are cowhide. Don't quote me, but I think Orchard will also do a version of the G-1 in goatskin if you prefer (probably at extra cost).

Also don't ignore the second hand market. As you go back further in time with the older made jackets, you tend to get better quality constructed jackets, better quality leather etc. The 7823E G-1s are typically cow hide and synthetic fur collars. 7823D are mostly goatskin but a mix of synthetic or mouton collars. 7823C are all goatskin and real mouton fur. My favourites are from the 7823B series with some really nice goatskin and mouton fur - but are also some of the rarest of the 7823 series. You should be able to pick up a 7823C or D series in great condition for less than $100 by being a bit picky. Common problems with these second hand jackets are mothing of the knit elements (which can be replaced), wear to the mouton fur (not so easy to replace) and zippers that are jammed or have some sort of seperation (big job to replace). Even so, some patience would be rewarded with a jacket that needs no repairs.

Glad to have you with us here - you're in good company. Good luck with your hunt for a G-1. Love your avitar too!

Thevenin

Just what I needed ! Great info Platon, and Jason, that was so complete.. I really appreciate that.

Noticed Aero and also GoodWear right after posting, read about other recent news.. Either way, looks like it's gonna take me some time to get the "one". Meanwhile finding here is nice. Bad thing is, I'll be getting into this more and more, ending up "more" than I need, I know :D

Harlock

Thevenin said:
Just what I needed ! Great info Platon, and Jason, that was so complete.. I really appreciate that.

Noticed Aero and also GoodWear right after posting, read about other recent news.. Either way, looks like it's gonna take me some time to get the "one". Meanwhile finding here is nice. Bad thing is, I'll be getting into this more and more, ending up "more" than I need, I know :D

Not too difficult to find a good one on the vintage market. A quick search revealed this beauty: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330843601859?ss ... 1555.l2649

The real thing is always more satisfying than a modern interpretation.

Jeff M

You can do much better than the makers you listed..for less.
I own a Bill Kelso M422, GW M422, Aero M422 variant (no mouton collar), G&B "Indy" jacket (made from their goat skin), and half a dozen pre 1965 "vintage" G1's.
The best G1 for your money is an authentic vintage G1 made some time before 1967.
Specifically, up to and including military spec. G-1, MIL-J-7823C.

You are looking for a real mouton collar...not synthetic. Real mouton holds it's softness over the decades..doesn't clump. Synthetic mouton clumps and looses it's softness over time. You can tell the difference between them just by looking at photos of them...even on new jackets.
The switch to synthetic started in the G-1, MIL-J-7823D series.
I am almost certain G&B and Aero use synthetic mouton.
GW and BK vintage mouton.

For the cost however....you can get a vintage G1 in fantastic condition for about 40% the cost of a G&B, 1/3 rd the price of a new BK or Aero, and 1/4 to 1/5 the price of a new GW, approx. .

Here is a link to a forum thread with photos I took of a GW M422, a BK M422 and a WW2 ET Church M22 some time back (the M422 being basically a G1 design manufactured in WW2 era);

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13633

The vintage WW2 ET Church and the GW are the best fitting of the jackets, with the best quality leather.
The ET Church cost about 50% the price of a new GW M422.

(I wouldn't let moth eaten knits dissuade me if the leather and mouton are in great shape. I've had them replaced for about $150.00 total by a pro specializing in working on vintage leather jackets. Still adds up to less than a new repro G1 and, in most cases, (the exception being GW), better quality jacket overall)

unclegrumpy

What size are you looking for? If it is not too big or small, I agree with the idea of getting a 1960's to 1990's original.

Nice examples are out there, and you can have some fun and experiment on the cheap. That way you will get a better idea yourself what you like, and not be in to something where you will loose anything if you decide to trade up....which you will want to regardless of what you pick or how much you spend.

Thevenin

Thanks guys. In general I agree the good conditioned quality originals are really better to own, even from the photos. Will be looking size 40 for those first, common enough I reckon..

@Harlock, thanks, based on what Jason mentioned I'll be looking 7823C & older specs - WEP, AER,..

@Jeff M, nice !

A

Anonymous

soon I will have one size 40 G-1 from the 1960s in great condition for sale.
please stay tuned

B-Man2

What size are you?
I have several nice original USN issued G-1s in sizes 44 and 46 .
As most here have already advised you the prices on originals are often less than
a reproduction jacket.
If you decide your interested in an original I'm sure I or some of the other members
can help you find one that is in nice shape.
PM me if you are interested in additional information .

Jeff M

Yep.
I have a size 42 Irvin B. Foster series 7823-C that I put brand new era appropriate G1 knits on if interested.

drew parker

I would go with gibson & barnes hands down. They will guarentee you a jacket that will fit. There quailty is top notch. I have a historic a-2 and it is my favorite of all my jackets.