• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions please. Value of altered Goodwear Aero

High Iron

Need help with the value of this Goodwear Aero. I have a friend that is interested in it and likes the jacket, fits him well, and is interested in buying it from me. I would like to get some opinions as to what a fair asking price would be. I paid $500.00 for it which is, from what I've seen lately on ebay, about the average price for this jacket in good shape.

I tore it when I was moving some stuff from my Jeep into the house. There was a tear that ran from about two inches from the left waist knit on the side seam that ran all the way up to the left armpit area. When I dropped off the jacket to be repaired the seamstress said she would open up the jacket and glue a patch behind the tare, restitch the seams and darken the tear so the damage would be less visually noticeable and other than the repair leave the jacket pretty much original. I picked up the jacket from the seamstress I was just about devastated. She did a good job and I can't stress that enough but was not expecting major alterations like this. I could live with a "repair" that didn't alter the jackets original construction but seeing that this has been heavily altered I have no clue as to it's value.

The repairs were done on both sides of the torso area and sleeves in the back shoulder area. The seamstress repaired the damage to the left side and copied the seams to the right side to make the jacket look like it was designed this way. There is also added topstitching around the waist which I requested.

This is my first time using photobucket so hopefully the pic work.

ElmerTwidley

ElmerTwidley

ElmerTwidley

ElmerTwidley

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
High Iron said:
I could live with a "repair" that didn't alter the jackets original construction but seeing that this has been heavily altered I have no clue as to it's value.

Yeah, a patch from behind, even if it was stitched over, would have been fine. Now that I've looked at the pictures .... say $300.

.... and buy another.

High Iron

Thanks fellas. Another is what I have in mind and $300 doesn't seem too unreasonable for both parties. And thanks for fixin' the pix.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
High Iron said:
... And thanks for fixin' the pix.

You're welcome ...

and you were pretty close ... just run the cursor over the selected image in Photobucket, click the IMG Code to copy, and paste into your post.

MikeyB-17

To be fair, the lady's done a hell of a job repairing that. Might no longer be historically correct, but who, apart from us lot, is going to look twice at that? I'd wear that and be very happy with it (no, I don't want to buy it-never got on with red knit Aeros). I would think it would sell pretty readily though.

Marv

I agree, great repair job.....nice jacket but I am not a fan of the Aero berry knits either.

High Iron

Thanks for all the responses.

She does fantastic work there is no doubt about it. She used to do alterations for a local leather an fur shop in town and now does alterations and makes lederhosen for Oktoberfest. Above all else she does excellent work at a very reasonable price.