• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One Goodwear not enough!

JWS4

Well after almost a years wait I recieved my first Goodwear jacket, A. J. Dubow 20960. I have already ordered another NOS triple marked Talon zipper in preparation for my next Goodwear A-2. I thought this would be the end of my quest. Now I find myself starting the process all over again! Is this normal? Well at least while I wait another year I have the Dubow to enjoy and break in!

ButteMT61

JWS4 said:
Well after almost a years wait I recieved my first Goodwear jacket, A. J. Dubow 20960. I have already ordered another NOS triple marked Talon zipper in preparation for my next Goodwear A-2. I thought this would be the end of my quest. Now I find myself starting the process all over again! Is this normal? Well at least while I wait another year I have the Dubow to enjoy and break in!

Is it normal? Kinda like going to a 12 step program and asking if "just one drink" is OK... :lol:

Jeff M

Once you get to a half a dozen, you have to start asking yourself if you may have a problem.
Luckily, I answered that question "no". :lol:

JWS4

Just wish I did not have to wait so long! I wonder where the majority of his orders come from, USA, Europe or Japan?

unclegrumpy

JWS4 said:
Just wish I did not have to wait so long! I wonder where the majority of his orders come from, USA, Europe or Japan?
Why, are you planning to puts hits out on them?

ButteMT61

JWS4 said:

I'll sell you my place in July for $2k.
I take Paypal...

derleicaman

At one point in the recent past, I had eight GW A-2s in my possesion, plus the D-1 prototype. I was seriously considering if I had a "problem". Luckily, I sold off two of the A-2s to get back down to a "safe" half dozen, sacrificing them in favor of the other ones that fit me better. What a relief!

I have had other similar obsessions in my life. Watches - and now that my son is getting interested in them, "how many do you have dad, and what do you think they're worth?" Don't want to answer that question. Leicas - we're talking life long obsession here, culminating in becoming a collector, dealer, past president of the Leica Historical Society of America and current editor of the quarterly journal of same society. When I had my camera shop, I could always justify acquiring them in trade or outright purchase "for inventory". After I closed my shop, it was harder to use that justification. Thank god the urge to acquire collectibles has cooled off in the last ten years as prices have gone crazy on some but not all of it. Now the hard part is parting with some of my "children" on occasion. Good thing one of my closest friends in the society is a retired psychiatrist who provides pro bono services!

Good Wear obsession pales in comparison! :D

ButteMT61

You're right. Our entire family are collectors. I think I'm the cheapest of the bunch since I stopped with the watches and motorcycles. My wife and son and I all have our things, and it's really fun. But one does have to try to keep it reasonable. I now try to do one in, one out. but often it isn't that easy. Right now I'm "two out" behind. So I got some work ahead...

My July place in line just went to $2500. :lol:

derleicaman

Hey Scott,

Selling your place in line was an accepted practice in Germany for things like a Mercedes or Porsche. Don't know if the practice still exists, but back in the 80's I had a subscription to Auto, Motor und Sport and the classifieds were filled with offers to sell one's place in line for the hot models (cars that is!).

ButteMT61

derleicaman said:
Hey Scott,

Selling your place in line was an accepted practice in Germany for things like a Mercedes or Porsche. Don't know if the practice still exists, but back in the 80's I had a subscription to Auto, Motor und Sport and the classifieds were filled with offers to sell one's place in line for the hot models (cars that is!).

It's done all the time on eBay with cars, etc.
$3000... ;)

CBI

I believe my next Good Wear which will arrive sometime before the New Year will be my 16th.

I was an addict when Good Wear was getting started and have enjoyed watching the quality of the jackets progress from excellent to superb to unbelievable. The biggest compliment is when a collector sells an outstanding ORIGINAL A-2 so he/she can have funds for a Good Wear. Seen this many times - Pretty Amazing!

In re the Good Wear's I currently own - five: two A-2's, two A-1's and a Tanker.

Jeff M

tcwu said:
l....
Last week I just found out the GW's regular price…I was shocked..
$1,400 for M442! Over 1K for A-2!
(I checked Good Wear from time to time but only on sale ones…)
….

If you think Good Wear A2's cost alot, take a look at what Rough Wear, "The Few", and Buzz Rickson non Eastman made A2's retail for !! :eek:

ButteMT61

Jeff M said:
tcwu said:
l....
Last week I just found out the GW's regular price…I was shocked..
$1,400 for M442! Over 1K for A-2!
(I checked Good Wear from time to time but only on sale ones…)
….

If you think Good Wear A2's cost alot, take a look at what Rough Wear, "The Few", and Buzz Rickson non Eastman made A2's retail for !! :eek:

It's like the old saying: "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance". You gets what you pay for with GW. I don't regret any of the Aero, GW and other jackets I've bought. Plus, you can almost always sell them for near (and in some cases more) than you paid for them. A cheap jacket doesn't hold much value, FWIW.

CBI

The "high" prices have to be put into perspective in that these jackets are not made to be collectables. So buying one isn't too bad. Unfortunately, they are such great items, we all want two dozen of them!

ausreenactor

I'm a fickle collector, I could not abide the waiting...the focus and direction of my collecting would change several times before the prized end product arrived. I think being like this has done me a favor...but at an expense. The two-edged sword thing. I would really like an SAT, a Perry and a Poughkeepsie...

Couchy

Andrew

What I just did must make me the antithesis of you Trev. I just dropped out of "The Queue" after nearly 10 months and have rebooked for a delivery in nine months time. What can I say, I just love the wait!!

I gave it away because I won't get enough use out of I this season and I hate the thought of it sitting idle in the wardrobe mocking me till next April.

Ok, monetary tributes from grateful queue members readily accepted ;)